Tuesday, January 23, 2018

It's Sewing Circle Day

I have a lot happening this week. I mean I have lots of art events, but I have my more than usual run of errands and doctor appointments. Thus, I am not sure how much blogging will be done.

I created a link to a fiber artist's blog and that post has now been viewed 49 times. I am amazed. Definitely doing it again. I can't think of a better way to get traffic to my blog.

I went to an art gallery yesterday. The owner was more than willing to talk to me even though he didn't have much fiber art. What he did have was made in Africa. It is a for purpose gallery meaning he supports people who need help and the sale of art creates scholarships. For students in Africa. But, that being said, there were quite a few local artists in the gallery. Another fiber artist had recently come in, so I assume other fiber artists are thinking like me- keep talking to galleries until one takes an interest in us. This is tougher than it sounds. Other artists, painters and sculptors, tend to say, Oh, you sew? That's CRAFT. Like textiles aren't art. I saw stunning quilts at the guild show and everybody passed by like it was nothing. We don't even have a fiber category for art. My art falls under mixed media. We have 6 different categories for paintings.

I have settled on plans for things to make for my Amazon shop. Hey! There's a link! Anyway, I haven't listed anything in 2 weeks because I decided Friday was the best day to do that and my Fridays have been disappearing. I think I need to be more aggressive with promoting my schedule.

I haven't done the website yet though I am constantly reminded of why it is a good idea.

I talked to my accountant and she sternly set rules for what could and could not be in my studio for tax purposes, along with what I should keep records of. Basically my studio needs an office and Will needs his own shop because his tools have nothing to do with my art. Do you know what that means? I can kick my husband out and lock the door! Okay, it won't be that extreme but I'm really happy to have the entire shed to myself.

No comments: