Friday, January 26, 2018

FIBER FRIDAY THE 26TH

I have been thinking a lot about my work. What I do, what materials I should use, what skills I should learn. I think this is pretty. But it is rather basic. I can make better stars. I can make large boxes with these stars.

Last night I went to a guild meeting. Back in September I donated art for an auction. The auction didn't do very well and many pieces did not sell. Mine was one of the not sold. The guild president has had my art all these months. We never could meet up.

I was pretty sure he would bring my art to the meeting. He did. But when I found it on the table, I was very surprised to see a second piece with it. The art I took to the cancer center had been returned. I don't know why. It may be the time was up. However, I was not told how long my art could stay.

There were other pieces of art around the room. One painting I really liked and I thought about buying it. We do have sales before our meetings. But then it was time to begin. When I went back, all the art was gone. And then I realized- that painting I was admiring was in a style most of the guild would not consider to be fine art. I thought it was bold and vibrant, but it was acrylic (gasp!) and composed of simple, bold lines. I also really liked the devil painting. Do you see the problem? It wasn't an oil portrait. I don't paint. Other artists sneer at my work saying it is craft, not art. I am starting to think it's not just me being treated this way. I feel so bad for the other artist. I desperately want to know who painted those lovely red pieces so I can tell them that someone likes their work. That's got to count for something, right?

I have not figured out exactly how I will impress the guild or actually get them to have a fiber division in our show. All I know is I must make better stars.

Today I am doing off the wall Friday. Please follow the link to see other fiber art.
ninamariesayre.blogspot.com

No comments: