Thursday, September 6, 2012

How Often Do You Study Your Craft?

I was very fond of the Dragonlance books when I was a teen. One thing about wizards that stood out to me was this- as soon as a wizard casts a spell, he forgets it. So in the Dragonlance series, wizards were forever lugging books around, reading and relearning.

I don't have many Witchcraft books. Usually when I thumb the latest Wicca tome, I realize it is very basic and I already know most of the information. If you write about Wicca, Witchcraft, or Paganism, I know the Wheel of Year, the Quarters, Goddesses, and I have more herbs in my kitchen than you have on your list. Give me something that hasn't been done 10,000 times before.

What books I do have, I use often. I use my astrology book so much that it resides on my desk instead of the bookcase. At least once a week, I look up a totem in Animal Speak. And every time I make a mojo bag, I pull down my Cunningham encyclopedias.

Some books I reread. I read them over and over because each time I crack them open, I am drawn to what I need. This time I rediscovered an active meditation.

I'm not the sit still type. I can visualize just fine. I just fidget while I'm doing it. I don't twist myself into a pretzel either. Active meditation involve doing some activity repeatedly until the brain is in a light alpha state and the body is relaxed. I am not going to tell you what meditation I'm doing because I believe strongly in 'keep silent.' But I will tell you it is very helpful to me. I keep my journal handy to writing notes/ideas/insights/impressions. I let my mind wander and when thoughts begin to surface, I look for patterns. This tells me how I really feel and what issues cause me more stress than others. After I clear my mind, I can start manifesting.

Since I started this meditation, I've been more relaxed. Because it's an active meditation, a little bit of exercise is involved so I sleep better. And because I am actively involved in my Witchcraft, I've noticed what I want seems to appear in my life with very little effort from me.

Later, when I feel more secure about the work I'm doing, I'll write more about it so you can try. In the meantime, what have you been reading? Are you being a Witch or just calling yourself one? Do you practice your craft daily? Do you know what kind of Witch you are?

No comments: