Thursday, July 5, 2012

Waiting For Star (Or River)

We went to watch the fireworks. When we arrived, the lake of boats had been transformed into a city of beautiful lights. Think of seeing a major city from an airplane. All you see are lights. This is how the lake looked, dot after dot of white, green, red, and a few blues of the Marina Police. It was so beautiful. I sat on the hill under the pine next to my man and I was moved by the beauty.

Small fireworks were going off at the edges of the lake. Beautiful white, green, red, yellow, and purple. Finally the real show began at 9pm. The first fireworks was a huge dandelion puff of brilliant white. After a short pause, the fireworks boomed impressively.

We were sitting on our beach towel with ours arms around each other. Conversations murmured around us. Children (and adults) oohed and aahed. There was a sudden burst of gold. As they shimmered down in the dark, I thought they looked like falling stars.

"I want to name our baby Star."

It was one of those times when I didn't know how I felt until the words tumbled out.

He looked at me. "Why?"

"It's so pretty."

I tried to explain about the boats and the fireworks but my words were awkward. I fumbled, not explaining at all. We sat in silence for a while.

The fireworks began to have shapes. There were lots of hearts and several circles.

He nudged me. "You really want to name her Star."

"Yes."

And then there was a five-point star, gold edged in red.

He said it was a beautiful name for a girl.

I thought about the Tallapoosa, about how much I love it, how if I stay away from the river too long, I start to long for it. I thought about how everyone loves the Tallapoosa. I thought it about its size, how it shapes communities, how strong it is. I thought about it gently holding all the swaying boats. I thought about the strength of the current.

"If it's a boy, we can name him River."

But I think it's a girl.

2 comments:

Chrysalis said...

Whoa! Congrats!!!!

FreeDragon said...

I am not 100% sure. I took a test which came up neg, but it might have been too early to test. But I have symptoms! I think I am.