Thursday, July 26, 2012

Book Worm

I love to read. I love books. I have a degree in English. I can read nearly 120 pages in one hour. Yet, over the years, I have cut back on reading. I don't have as much time. As a diabetic, I should be exercising instead of laying around. And then....arrrggghhhh...people ask me the dumbest questions. Why are you reading? Are you taking a class? Don't you know there's a movie? The only thing I miss I about college is being surrounded by other literary people, people who like poetry, who get puns, who not only understand literary references, but have actually read the book themselves. Sigh.

And not to sound snobbish, but I find most books lacking. I read at a higher level and generally mass produced paperbacks, especially Romance novels, are so juvenile that I start grading/editing/rewriting them. My Inner English Teacher is not amused.

But lately I've been lucky. I found TWO books I loved so much, I forgot to grade them.

I already mentioned this one:
I would have read it in one night, but someone wanted to go to sleep at 4:30am. Hummph. I loved it. Loved, loved, loved it. I loved the pictures especially. I feel like the journal entries really sound like Lincoln.

Right now I am reading this:
The Dragon Keeper's Handbook is written on a higher level. I like it when I encounter new vocabulary. The book is very well written, very entertaining, and contains everything you could ever want to know about dragons.

I also have a cross stitch magazine filled with Halloween ideas. I couldn't find a picture, and I am too lazy to drag out my camera. Maybe next time.


No comments: