Monday, August 23, 2010

A Cooler Weather Idea

I decided then when it cools off (if it ever does)I'll start my cemetery project.

I love cemeteries. I like to see the family names and imagine what those people were like when they lived. I like to make rubbings of the tombstones. Some strange and beautiful art can be found on graves. Last year my father, my cousin, and myself visited several cemeteries in the area. My father showed me the graves of my family. It gave me a much better picture of who we are and how my great-grandparents lived. I took lots of pictures and had a good time. I also learned a lot of history about the area. It was a good day- cool, but not cold, and the turning leaves were just beautiful.

There are about 78 cemeteries in Tallapoosa County alone and I intend to visit them all, starting with the ones closest to my house. I fear a few of these places are in danger of being lost. My plan is to visit each one, write down the surnames, take some pics, and make rubbings of anything that catches my eye.

My other for reason for the cemetery project is that I think I am becoming a bone witch. I continually find bones- bird skulls, coyote skulls, turtle shells, and deer antlers, and these bones speak to me. I feel like I'm holding a power object. Before you ask, the bones I find I always bleached white and cleaned by Mother Nature. I don't think I could 'harvest' anything.

Last year I visited the Georgia Aquarium and the exhibit that drew me the most was the model of the whale skeleton. I viewed it from every angle and snapped picture after picture. I liked the whole Aquarium, especially the otters, but I remember the bones best.

I had some reservations about working with bones because it is a dark energy. I don't particularly want to deal with the dead. But the dead are all around all the time. My house is haunted, I nearly died this year. The bones are calling me. I have finally come to realize that I cannot truly live if I do not acknowledge that there is a end. To live blindly without making the most of the journey is just a waste.

No comments: