Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Uppity Woman

The welcome to Tallapoosa County sign is in my front yard. Sort of. It is on the road side and it's a little pass the house, but I still think of it as being in the front yard because it's what people see when they pull into the drive way.

One day I came home and saw a political sign under the county sign urging me to re-elect the county commissioner. I understand people running for office have to campaign somehow, but I wished the people who stick those signs all over Earth would get permission before driving stakes in the ground. Anyway, I was annoyed, but I decided to ignore it.

Then we had one of our famous storms with strong wind and hail. The political sign blew over.

Sunday, as I was getting out of the truck, I saw a red pick up slow down then stop by the county sign. An older man in a neon green shirt, khaki shorts, tennis shoes, and a ball cap got out with a new political sign in his hand. Thinking he was a campaign worker, I started running across my yard yelling, "Don't put that in my yard!"

Turns out I was yelling at the County Commissioner himself.

He was nice about it. He took his sign and left. But he probably thinks I yanked his sign out of the ground and stomped on it.

When Kevin got him I asked him if he thought I was a bitch. He said, and I quote, "You're one hell of a woman."

I decided I'm uppity. And I like it that way.

No comments: