Sunday, June 6, 2010

My Day

I'm sure that since I spend so much time away from the Internet some of you are probably wondering what, exactly, I do all day. Here's what I did today:

Woke up around 4:30am because that's what time Kevin gets up for work. I did Palates because the less awake I am the less I will be able to talk myself out of exercising. I fixed Kevin's lunch and went back to bed. In a little while he brought me a cup of coffee. At 5:20 he gave me an insulin injection. I am perfectly capable of giving myself the shot, but he likes to do it. He feels like he is 'taking care of me' I think Kevin might have white knight syndrome.

Around 6ish I went for a walk because three different diabetics have told me that walking 2-3 miles a day can lower my sugar by at least 100 points. So far I managing 2 miles, but every day I walk a little farther. I walk rain or shine, in the wind with my skirt billowing around me, in the heat slapping at bugs. I keep an eye out for snakes and fast cars while sweating. I hate it. I am a lay on the couch and read kind of girl. But I will do whatever is necessary to lower my sugar.

I came home, wished I wasn't so sweaty, and ate breakfast. I tested my sugar which was 124 (almost normal!) Then I gathered up laundry and went to the laundry mat. We just got a new washer in December. It died right before I went into the coma and three different repairmen have been out to fix it. Only the last one was able to get the machine working again and after a week it went ka-put. Again. Supposedly we are now getting a brand new washer because after 3 service calls That-Big-Home-Improvement-Store-That-Starts-With-An-L is supposed to replace what is clearly a defective machine. The problem is the first guy didn't turn in his paperwork so the store says we have only had 2 service calls. I thought they got paid by the call so he must be both dumb and poor.

After laundry time I washed dishes, gave the dogs more water, made the beds, did some magic, then sat down with my guitar. While I was in the hospital I decided I should go ahead and do everything I wanted to do while I still have time. So last week I bought the prettiest guitar I could afford and now my fingers are very sore. But I am determined to succeed. Kevin showed me how to hold the strings properly and now I can hold down a string or two and (most of the time) make a decent sound.

Next I did some sewing, harvested herbs so I could make tea, did the dusting, then went to my parent's house for lunch. I took another walk with my father.

I came here, to the library, turned in my book, wrote this post, and my next stop will be the dollar store for candles. When I get home I will wrap Kevin's birthday present (he's 38 today), then I will cook hamburgers for tomorrow's supper (he's grilling tonight), pack my lunch, and probably cook my breakfast.

Then I plan to have another walk, this time to the pond so the dogs can swim.

So now you know.

No comments: