Thursday, January 17, 2019

What If...?

As part of our homeschool program, my children are reading A Wrinkle in Time. We are now to the 3rd book, A Swiftly Tilting Planet, and this morning we read about Charles Wallace going within. That part always gets to me, not because of how amazing it is, or even because the book is fantasy, sci-fi, and spiritualism all at once, while still meant for children, but it gets to me because I can't comprehend the joy.

I cannot fathom ordinary, everyday life being pleasant all the time. Yes, there are problems such as the boar, but no one is worrying about it or thinking they should go kill all the boars.

Certainly evil people exist because the teller of tales doesn't think visiting other tribes is wise. But I am more amazed by people being content with what they have. I am amazed by people learning without fear of failure. I am amazed by the fact that people are just happy with life in general.

The story got me to thinking, what if I could be more joyful with what I do? Would food taste better if I were glad to cook it? Would stitches flow flawlessly if I were happy to make every stitch? If I could send harmony through ley lines how far would that harmony go? Would my community become more peaceful?

I was eager to try. I began formulating a plan. And then it was time to eat. And then I had to fuss at the boys to wipe off the table. Which they argued about. Then the fought about who should sweep the floor. After another 10 minutes of constant bickering, I yelled.

Maybe this is just beyond my capabilities.

No comments: