Tuesday, September 26, 2017

Stitch Witch Day 5- Choosing Fantastic Mr. Fox

I read Roald Dahl's book recently with my children, hence the title. I think all foxes are fantastic.

When I first decided to do this project, I started a Pinterest board. That's how I manage most research now, I gather images. I may have some written notes or magazine pages, maybe a book, but mostly I search pinterest. I always have my tablet so that's the most convenient way to do it.

This is the type of valance I'm making. Mine will probably be completely stitched because I don't really like seeing bare plastic canvas. I will only make the valance, though I do like the tie backs. I may save them for a future project like my bedroom.  I don't like our curtains but my husband does so I left bedroom curtains alone. I don't think he would object to tie backs.

Simple fox.

This one looks smart.

I really like this fox. He's actually a magnet, but I could easily adapt the pattern. BUT, I do plan to use this fox on another art project and I don't like making the same thing over and over. Motifs don't count because that's still just one project despite how many times a design appears. I mean I don't want to make the exact same thing over and over because it feels like mass production. Only making one thing is boring.

Thus, this is my fox. Still fairly simple, though this one seems more suited for home decor. Only 2 colors, so I won't spend a small fortune on supplies. I want things to match my living room. I think I will change the orange to a rusty red. The white will probably become dark brown.

Normally, plastic canvas stitches are diagonal. In trying to get the right placement I accidentally made a straight up and down stitch. I decided that might look better. It definitely makes stitching easier. Here, I've gotten the top 3 rows of my dark color done. I chose a rusty orange color but at times it looks a little more like salmon pink. As you can see from the picture, I have rusty red pillows. I think the background color will determine if I get rusty orange or pink foxes. I haven't picked the background color yet because I was actually thinking of alternating between tan and dark brown. We'll see what the foxes say after the work progresses a bit.

I should mention my pattern is meant for crochet. It's just a grid so it can work for plastic canvas or cross stitch because those patterns are grids too. Just remember changing mediums will change the size of the finished piece. As you can see, my work is about half the size of the pattern.

Now with some of the background filled in. Tan didn't look right with the rusty orange so I made cream my light color. I'm now ready to start the fox.
Fox with a complete tail. I really like the tail, it's so bushy! Tails are very important to foxes as it acts as a rudder, helping to balance the animal as it runs.
Fox is done. Sides need to be worked. I can't tell you how long it is taking me to make this. I just stitch when I have a chance. I sew in the car while my husband drives (taking a motion sickness pill first so I don't get car sick). This works surprisingly well for me. I seem to accomplish more in a short period of time.
Nearly done. I decided I should taper the bottom and I'd like to add a charm or small sun catcher to the bottom.

You probably already noticed that there was no magick in this post, only stitches. This was the first time I made this and I wanted to learn how the pattern flowed before adding magick.  There were times when the pattern didn't look right to me. I also changed it by adding the tapered blank space. I think I will put our names here and each family member can have their own fox. The magick will be in tomorrow's post. I'll show you how I empowered this fox. The benefit of this is customizing each fox for what each individual needs.

No comments: