Monday, April 9, 2012

Hmmm...

My first attempt at machine embroidery using my sewing machine. It produces a loose, sort of hooked rug effect. Here's a close up in bad light:
I'm thinking it might be better to paint a design, then lightly stitch over. Then the shape/lines/colors would pop, but I wouldn't have to worry about filling so much space. This is just different colored threads in a star I traced with a stencil. I intended to make the whole star rust, but I got bored. Every time boredom overtook me, I changed colors, then outlined the star in lime green which isn't showing up here. A pre-painted design would eliminate the wonkyness you see here. Because this was free-motion, my center lost its shape. I could also try couching, which is when a thick thread or yarn is held in place by stitching over it, generally in a contrasting color. Like this:

It would probably make a nice, thick outline.

Comments? Thoughts? Designs to try?

1 comment:

Kat of EmKatCreations said...

That last pic looks like you could get some really good definition from it!