Thursday, April 12, 2012

Goodbye Yahoo

I have canceled my Yahoo account. I'm not a big Yahoo fan anyway. I prefer to check that account with my phone because their homepage is slam full of nothing. Sometimes I'll see what I think will be an interesting news article, but it never is. The title conveys an utterly different message than the story. And most of their 'news' is celebrity gossip about people I'm supposed to have heard of, but I have no clue why they're famous.

The spam was taking over my inbox. I was getting spam about once a week. Delete. Then I got it every day. I upped the spam guard. I got more. From the same senders. I marked it all as spam and the next day it would all be there again, same senders, same messages, plus a little more spam. Why is Yahoo not understanding me when I say I don't want this junk in mailbox?

The only thing I really liked about Yahoo was the avatars. It's me, only cooler. I wanted to save all my avatars. You know, being that it's my image and all. I was already signed in to Yahoo. I tried going to my avatar (which, btw, is a complicated process. When I click on the thumbnail of myself, I want to play with my avatar. I do not want to improve my profile.) Yahoo kept asking for my password. I'd type it, hit enter, and the page would reload right back to asking me for my password. I'd tried going at it from several different angles, hitting the sign in button, trying to get to my avatar from a different page, hitting enter multiple times, trying old passwords in case Yahoo was really stupid, and nothing worked. I could not get to my avatar.

At this point, I just said fuck it and I canceled. Yahoo is not worth the trouble. So now I have just one email account, my gmail. I'm not sure how I feel about that because my user name is my full birth name. So now I'm like exposed and that's why there is no email link on this blog. I may set up another gmail account for blog use and times when I need to be undercover, and my current email can be for the people who already know me or my name anyway.

I'm still thinking a lot about what would happen to my Internet life if something happened to me. I'm thinking I should make a list of all the sites I use and maybe some of those sites can go bye-bye like Yahoo. I'm also thinking about passwords because I tend to make passwords out of the names of men I've slept with. It would probably be wise to change everything to neutral words with no sexual connotations. I would hate to wind up in the hospital again and someone for whatever reason needs to access some account and they get their feelings hurt or they find out about someone they didn't need to know existed. Yes, I need neutral words.

1 comment:

Kat of EmKatCreations said...

I have an abundance of email addresses. Some times it's complicated but more often it's a very useful way for me to separate the parts of my life that need to be.