Thursday, March 1, 2012

Would You Say 'Sorry'?

A while back, I 'broke up' with Red Beard. I told him the 11 year age difference was too much for me and I am just 5 years away from 40. He got mad and stomped off.

A few days later, I saw him take a youngish girl to lunch. Okay, cool. He moved on. I'm glad for him.

Then he starts going to lunch by himself.

Now he won't look at me.

I feel a little guilty for rejecting him. He's a nice guy, and it is the age difference alone that is making me say no. (That, and he dips. Gross!) I don't know what happened with the other girl. I don't want him to think I find him unattractive or anything. I don't want him to feel bad, but I don't want to encourage him either. Please don't tell me there is nothing wrong with the woman being older. It bothers me. I don't want to say, Honey, you remember in the 80's... and he says, no, I wasn't born yet. That will make me feel older than dirt. Sort of like hearing a song on the radio and being all, oooh! I remember when this came out! Then you realize you're listening to the oldies station. Yeah, it bites.

So do I go tell him he's fine or do I just pretend I don't see him either?

2 comments:

Kat of EmKatCreations said...

That's a rough and tricky spot. If you think the two of you could have a friendship then I would suggest heading over and chatting. If there was only the interest that you turned down then I think perhaps it would be best to let it be (if you explained that your issue was only the age difference the first time around).

Vivienne Moss said...

I would just be honest with him. There is no need to tell him you're sorry. You did nothing wrong. The dipping alone would turn me off.

I tried to date a much younger man years ago. I didn't like it either. I prefer older men myself.

Good luck with the man hunt. I'm still looking for my Lumberjack.