Saturday, March 31, 2012

Saturday- On My Mind

I haven't really had time to collect my thoughts, let alone compose a proper post. This is another conglomeration.

Storm At Sea is a beautiful quilt block comprised of all straight lines which appear to curve.
Storm At Sea is pure magick and wonderful variations can arise by shifting color or lines.
I decided to make a plastic canvas version and as soon as I decided this, it rained. A long time ago I started a Storm At Sea quilt and it rains every time I work on it, too. After I get my design all worked out, and if my project goes well, I'd like to draw the blocks in different sizes for a more 'magic carpet' effect. I saw it done once in reds and golds, all done up for Christmas. I'd do mine in blues, purple, and gold for an Arabian feel.

A Thousand and One Arabian Nights has also been on my mind. I love this story for one simple reason- the woman is the hero and this from a part of the world that devalues women. In case you're not familiar, a wicked king is marrying young girls then killing them on his wedding night. The kingdom is starting to run out of women so one very smart woman volunteers to be his wife. On the wedding night he comes into her room and she begins to tell him a story. Just when she gets to the most exciting part, she says, 'I'm tired. Good night." Well, then he can't kill her because he won't find out how the story ends. The king decides he can kill her the next night after she finishes her story. But she doesn't finish, she leaves him hanging again. She keeps this going for one thousand and one nights and by the time she finally wraps up her tale, the king is in love with his wife and doesn't want to kill her. She tames the king, saves all the women, and preserves the mythology to boot. That is one awesome chick.

Speaking of queens, I finally got to pet the puppy. Once. She's been here over a week and I have petted her exactly once. Sophie decided Queen is okay and now both my dogs play with her. Queen wants to come in the house, but she always chickens out at the steps.

I made extra money on a sewing job. I want to expand my sewing skills, but there's that darn time factor.

I am keeping up with the garden. Yes, I am keeping it watered.

I haven't done anything witchy on a large scale in over a month. I do minor magicks every day. I want to run my roots deep into the earth; feel the magick pulse around me. Minor is not enough and I believe I will have to just stop my mundane activities one night, no matter how tired I may be, and just shift into full witch mode for a good hour or more. I think I have a new totem- raccoon.

Since raccoons are suddenly appearing everywhere, I've also been thinking of masks, harlequins, and glamour.
I'm loving the checkerboard diamonds and I'd like to stitch some, which brings me right back to where I started.



No comments: