Saturday, February 4, 2012

Saturday

All week, I have been thinking I had to work today. But- wait for it...I'm off!

I really need to rest. I just worked a 10 hour shift. I've been doing overtime all week. My feet hurt so much it is painful to walk. I am sleepy. But I am also wired. I don't know about you, but rarely can I get off work and go straight to bed. My body will be aching for sleep but my mind shifts into high gear.

Spring has come to the Dragon household. The daffodils are blooming. It is far too early. Nevertheless, I feel the need to work in my garden. The Earth is stirring. I'm not sure if she's about to jump out of bed, or hit the snooze button. But at this moment my bit of earth is certainly awake.

Magick in general is calling to me. My cards keep pointing to tradition and I am beginning to think this means witchcraft in a traditional sense. I don't mean the practice of a particular tradition, I mean doing the things that witches are good at- casting spells, foretelling the future, directing energies, brewing potions, and maybe even hexing and binding. I feel that things are have reached a point where they are at the peak of potential and should be used. I think every little girl at some point in her life has wanted to be a witch. This is because, whether we see good witches or bad ones, we all know right off the bat that witches have power. We want that power too. I used to play at being a witch all the time. My mother gave me a Snoopy activity book. It was Halloween themed and very thick. That was my 'spell book' After I colored every page, solved all the puzzles, and explored all the mazes, I used to carry it everywhere, pretending I was doing complex spells. My father had a tractor with all kinds of attachments- plow, bush hog, harrows, and best of all, a hopper. For those of you who didn't grow up on a farm, a hopper is a very large cone used for spreading seed, say for planting fields of rye grass. I thought it was an excellent cauldron. I got a long stick and stirred my hopper/cauldron of magick.

I wish I could remember what kinds of 'spells' I was doing then because I think those where indicators of what kind of witch I would become. All I remember is everything was complex- I needed lots of ingredients, lots of stirring, lots of reading the right words, and if I missed something then all was lost. Clearly, even then, I was a kitchen witch, but I don't remember what my spells were for. I don't remember if I wanted power, to save people, to have riches, or to be smart. I do remember having several little 'camps' all over the yard. Each time I went to one, the first thing I had to do was to arrange my rocks and bottles for spells. Then I could pretend to build a campfire or go hunting. I still do this. Every time I go to a new place, whether I will be moving in or just spending the night, I can't settle down until I have a good feeling about the place. I make note of my surroundings and I spend a good bit of time arranging both myself and my things until everything is just right. I know for sure I am the witch of this place, but I wonder in how many more places could I be THE witch. If I were with other witches, who would be in charge? Can you tell when you are in the presence of a witch? Does she own her space? Does she redirect the energies so that they match her patterns, or does she meld into the place so that she becomes the energy of that place and time? If she becomes tied to the place, would the land suffer when she left? Which is more powerful- becoming or owning?

I don't have answers. I'm still finding out what I'm good at. I'll leave you with the kind of magick I used to think I was doing-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZbhDbjGZX0M

2 comments:

Aine O'Brien said...

I loved this post. I too used to do that kind of thing when I was a little girl - always outside, gathering my "stuff" and cooking it up. Most of my practice now is magic. I do not perform ritual very often and when I do, it always includes magic.

I also know what you mean about loving the idea that witches are powerful. I was the shy outcast and I used to plan what I would do if I had "the power." Most of what I would do was of the "darker" magic. :)

Alexis Kennedy said...

What an awesome post! I adore the youtube video.. always loved it when Snoopy and Woodstock started giggling- it's contagious.

Answering the call of the witch is something we term "The Quickening". Enjoy your journey and do let me know if there's anything I can do to support you. Hugs!