Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Bad, Bad, Bad Pictures- Store Room Into Pantry, Part 1

Okay, first, my store room walls are NOT orange. They are some kind of plain wood chip board stuff. My single light bulb is yellowish.
This is the back of the store room and I will be storing extra food on these shelves. I threw away A LOT of junk. I am always amazed by clutter. I am a fairly neat and clean person. I grew up in a house with wall to wall furniture, so I don't like junk and knickknacks. Yet, somehow, someway, I always end up with things I know I will never use. On the top shelf, in the right corner are several blinds. I hate blinds and this house came with a blind on every window, including the doors. Blinds on doors are just stupid. The blind flops everywhere and gets caught in the door frame. Of course, windows in doors can be stupid as well. Why have a deadbolt when someone can just bust the glass and stroll right in? Anyway, I was saving all these torn, less than clean blinds because they aren't mine. Then I realized my landlord will probably replace them when I move because the blinds are so old they have turned yellow. I saved the two best and tossed the rest.

Here is my window. When I moved in, these gawd awful, poly-cotton blend, mid 80's, geraniums in baskets print curtains were hanging up. I cannot describe the ugliness. But they fit the window perfectly and I knew from the beginning I wanted my altar in the store room, and I needed privacy, so I washed the ugly curtains. That didn't help much, so I dyed them purple. That helped for a while, but polyester doesn't take dye very well, so it wasn't long before all the purple faded, first to a gentle lilac, then to pale lavender. I decided the curtains were beyond all help and I turned them into cleaning rags. It took both curtains to get the window clean.

You might be wondering why I'm going to so much trouble for a storage room. My store room is a magickal place. It's between. It is neither inside nor out. It's part of the house, but separate. It's part of the porch, but not. The room has a good feeling. My landlord told me his family used to sit in here when the mosquitoes drove them off the porch. A well used to be in roughly the same area, and the water is still in the ground below. Water holds emotions and I think there must have been many good times had in this place.  Plus, it is practical. I like the altar being in its own room, easily accessible, but away from prying eyes.

Later, when I have good daylight, I'll take some pictures of my new 'herb drying rack', the now clean shelves, and the altar. I'm not sure how long the next post will be. I did make a good bit of progress, but I am nowhere close to having a pantry. Plus, it will always be a multi-use room. I keep my garden tools and flower pots here too.

1 comment:

Kat of EmKatCreations said...

Sounds like an awesome space. I'm looking forward to more pics :)