Saturday, February 11, 2012

Advancd Witchcraft- Your Natal Chart

Some witches complain that there is a lack of advanced witchcraft material. I do not think there is a lack. The problem is advanced witchcraft is a very personal subject varying widely from individual to individual. Your advanced will not be my advanced. My advanced might be easy to you and what I consider simple might be a subject you've never even heard of. To me, advanced witchcraft is taking the basics to the farthest level of proficiency. Highly advanced would be a subject that cannot be exhausted and seeing new applications for it every time you read back over your notes. A good witch does not ever stop learning her craft and that's why not everyone can be a witch- the hard work never ends.

My current area of study/application/magick is astrology. I love astrology. I have been reading my horoscope since my pre-teens. I am a Capricorn. I am complex. For years, I thought the daily horoscopes in the paper was all there was to it. I was a practicing witch before I ever heard of moon signs, rising signs, houses, retrograde, trines, and aspects. And if the picture at the top of this post looks like a wheel of confusion to you, then you have an understanding of how I felt when I tried to draw my natal chart myself. (Word of advice- let the computers do the math. The computer is much faster and draws better circles. Here's a good, free site- http://alabe.com/freechart/)

I first saw my natal chart in 2001. I printed it out, chart, meanings and all, and I still have it. The chart was interesting to look at, but I didn't know how to use it. I kept it in a binder with some other zodiac information because I used to collect information about various witchy subjects- herbs, color meanings, runes, the tarot, etc., etc., etc. After several years you get a lot of notebooks gathering dust. And you still don't know what it all means. I have a much more hands on approach now. I don't want to read about anything, I want to DO something.

Sometimes the Universe nudges me in the right direction. I found this blog and thought it was great. I realized my magick would work better if I was going with the flow. And life does run a whole smoother when I am paying attention. But the main use of A Witch's Daily blog (to me anyway) is using the moon. I still wasn't using my natal chart in any useful way. Until I found this. Aha! Light bulb! Now I am using the energies of the Universe to my best advantage. I love, love, LOVE the Ruby Slipper blog. This chick is dead on accurate. I put my natal chart in its own binder and I keep it on my desk so I can refer to it often. Life is a lot easier to deal with when you know what's coming.

Astrology is a subject you can study forever. Even better, there are all kinds of astrology- Chinese astrology (focuses on the whole year), natal charts (map of your life), daily horoscopes (what I call just-for-fun stuff), mundane astrology (despite the name, deals with countries, politics, and corporations), horary astrology (asking a question then using a chart of the time the question was asked to predict the answer, very magickal IMO), electional astrology (finding the best time to stage an event) and locational astrology (understanding how a place effects a person or events). There's more, I just got tired of typing. Here is my favorite astrology book.

You might be good at astrology if
1. You like details.
2. You believe each world, whether above or below, inner or outer, is a reflection of each other.
3. You believe in fate.
4. You like order and patterns.
5. You are searching for your place in the cosmos.
6. You like psychology or knowing what makes a person tick.

I urge everyone to at least take a look at their natal chart. You might learn something. I have had great success in casting spells based on my chart. What I haven't yet tried, and I must urge caution because this could border on malfactum, is using another person's chart to influence them. I sense some of you drawing back in surprise. I just want to point out that it could be done. If you do try it, may I suggest starting with the chart of your mate to better your lives together, a sibling's chart to help them improve their circumstances, or a child's chart to protect them or grant more opportunities. I am not sure how much influence you could exert. At best, to avoid infringing on free will, all you could do is look for positive opportunities or give advice on how to best avoid difficulties. You can't make anyone do anything they don't want to do. Unless you're a bad witch.

No comments: