Sunday, November 20, 2011

Behold- I Have De-Homed Spiders & Created Sacred Space

The urge to nest kicked in last week. Suddenly my bookcases were on the wrong wall. I didn't really want to move them (lots of work) but I was seriously bothered by it. I tried to talk myself out of it, after all, not long ago I cleaned all three. But I knew it HAD to be done. I spent days imaging how it would look. I mentally reordered all my furniture a few hundred times. Finally on Thursday I decided to just start moving stuff and see how it turned out. Here's the 'short wall' before:
My sideboard, my grandmother's wine glasses (and ice bucket, wine dripper, and candy dish), a few family pics, and my rolling pin collection. My Mexican cloth (okay, I don't remember the proper name) hung as art above.

This is what a kitchen witch's library should look like. The bookshelves are in their own defined space and it feels separate from the rest of the room. There was about 5,000 cobwebs behind the shelves. So much for 'but I just cleaned.' I even managed to show off my rolling pin collection. I put the heavy pins and the glass ones in the wine rack, then hung the ones that could stand a little abuse on the wall (just in case they fall. I don't want to step on glass or have marble smack my foot) I now have room to add to my collection- I can keep going up the wall.

I forgot to take a before pic of the dinning room table. I think my Mexican cloth makes it cheerful. If I ever get to design my dream kitchen, I'm going to have bright yellow walls, exposed wooden beams, stone tile, and unpainted oak cabinets. And a big stone fireplace, too.

I have a blank wall where the books used to be. I was going to center my mirror until I remembered it was a lot of trouble for Kevin to hang it because it is so heavy. I decided it would be safer for my head if the mirror did not relocate. Since I have more wall space now, I want to make an art quilt. It has been a long time since I made a quilt for me and not to sell.

The sideboard moved in front of the window. Here's the before:

This is my big red dragon. I bought him at the local metaphysical shop. He's hand-made and he's meant to be art, but I turned him into a curtain. He makes the living room a little dark, but he looks very impressive as I walk in.
Now my dragon is crouched in the corner so my aloe plants can get some light. In the spring I'll either have to take him down or take the plants outside so I can use the air conditioning unit.

I started moving things on Thursday. I have cleaned and cleansed. I swept, dusted, and mopped. I burned candles and incense. I swept the room with my witch broom (which has a completely different function from my mundane broom) I felt the need to get energy moving. Today, my landlady told me several homes have been robbed. Ah. Now I know why my nesting instinct kicked in. It is time to renew my protection spells. I was going to make my house invisible, but as I am diabetic, that would be exceedingly foolish if I needed an ambulance and the EMT's couldn't find my house. So I set a dragon on guard instead.

Ordinarily, this is a crime-free town. Two years ago, we had a problem with 3 individuals breaking into homes. They terrorized people for almost two months. Then they broke into the wrong house. A retired marine lived next door and when he saw them burglarizing the neighbor's house he started having flash backs of combat. The marine punched one so hard he broke his teeth. Evidently these new thieves don't know there's a crazy veteran on the look-out for criminal ass to stomp.

No comments: