Monday, October 18, 2010

A Big Pot of Supper

I really don't have anything to talk about today, so I thought I'd tell you what's for supper: Red beans and rice and sausage.

I boil everything separately and mix it together at the end in my biggest pot (which btw, is the set Kevin gave to me some years ago. As a kitchen witch I find the gift of cookware to wildly romantic. Now if only he would buy me a sewing machine or a spinning wheel or a loom or SOMETHING for textile arts!)

Used to, diabetics were told not to eat beans and rice because of all the carbs. Now they think the health benefits outweigh the carbs. I suppose I could make this a little better by using wild rice but I already had white.

This is another easy meal that tastes better when reheated. It's also lends itself to the 'this and that' style of cooking. You can add onions or chives, maybe potatoes (I'm thinking red would be good here) or you could just have boiled chicken and rice. I put mustard on mine because diabetics can have all the mustard they want.

It's almost time for Kevin to come home, so I better start cooking.

No comments: