Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Today's zone is the bathroom. I scrubbed the toilet this morning b/c I knew Kevin would be having a friend over today and I just didn't want him to think I'm a bad housekeeper. When Sophie had the puppies I was rushing off to work one morning and I noticed dog poo on the floor. Something told me to clean it up, but I was running VERY late and puppies poo everywhere so I figured there'd be more when I came home. Or Sophie would take care of it eventually. Or both. Anyway, I left and Kevin's friend pulled into the driveway about 5 minutes later. I am terrified he thinks I have a nasty house and he's been telling every one Kevin has a lazy, sorry woman. I know he wouldn't say any such thing because he's a nice man and he's married to an old cougar, so he probably thinks anyone is better than what he's got. He didn't come to my birthday party because if he came alone the cougar would have called every few minutes to check up on him, and if he bought her then she would have tried to run the show. I've only met her once. She's very pushy. But anyway, I wasn't going to have a dirty house two visits in a row so I ran around fluffing pillows, tossing junk mail, and sweeping the floor.

Today's card is mountain goat. Don't lose your footing!

I reading Forest Grove today and she has instructions for mead, so I decided to post my dad's recipe for Homemade Muskadine Wine.

You need a 5 gallon container filled with crushed muskadines. You need pure juice. Don't add water unless there is not enough fruit to fill the container. To get the juice, mash ripe muskadines. Strain out the seeds and pulp.
If the fruit isn't sweet, add enough sugar to float a raw (uncooked, still in shell) egg. Put the egg in a spoon. Submerge the egg just under the surface of the liquid. Pour in sugar until the egg stands on end. The egg should rise to the surface, but not go above the surface.
Place lid on container. Don't seal the lid of the container, tape it down with duct tape. As the fruit ferments, the gas will rise. You'll know it's done when the tape breaks. This can take 1 week to 10 days, depending on the temperature. It takes longer in cool weather.
Now seal the container. Your container should be nearly full with not much air above the wine. Air turns wine to vinegar.
Let sit for about one month to work. Again, warm weather makes the process faster. As long as bubbles are rising in the wine it is still working.
Bottle and seal. let sit for at least one year. The longer it sits, the better. When the wine is finished it changes color. It will turn from a grape juice color to a brown similar to the color of bourbon.

No comments: