Saturday, November 8, 2008

Going Green in the Chemical World

Maybe a year ago I read about household cleaners and discovered that the chemicals in them are harsh and harmful. I decided to go green and switch to natural cleaning methods.

This isn’t as easy as it sounds. First, I had cleaners under the sink that I had bought and it seemed wasteful to just throw them out, so I decided to use them up and not buy anymore.

Next, as I had been buying commercial cleaning products for years, I knew that they did work, so I was concerned that the natural stuff wouldn’t be “strong” enough.

And finally, some of it just sounded silly. Could vinegar really clean it all? Wouldn’t it just stink up the house?

I started small because that’s the best way to make any kind of change. Whenever I washed the dog, I would add lemon juice to the water. Just a tablespoon or so. It works! Lemon juice is a natural flea repellent and it makes her coat shiny, plus it makes her smell better.

And as long as we’re on the subject, I wash my dog with human shampoo. The very same brand I use on my head. It doesn’t hurt me and it doesn’t hurt her.

Since I liked the lemon juice so much, I decided to try it on other things. I found pouring a little down the drain will eleminate smells. Adding some to the mop water makes the house smell better and kills insects. Then I found out I can clean the microwave with it! Pour lemon juice into a coffee cup, place it in the microwave and nuke it for 45 seconds. Dip a clean cloth into the cup and wipe out the microwave. Now this is one that requires a little elbow grease, but it does work.

Next I tried vinegar. I found there is only smell while it is in use. There’s no lingering smell. I mop the floor with vinegar, hot water, and dishwashing liquid. My floors have never looked better. Sometimes I add lemon juice, but it’s not necessary. Actually, vinegar and water works just fine. Plus there’s no rinsing and no residue.

Encouraged, I put vinegar and water in a spray bottle. I use this for counter tops and glass. Vinegar makes a beautiful streak free shine just like that popular blue stuff. This is another one that requires elbow grease (just keep wiping). Vinegar is also great for cleaning up the puppy’s accidents.

Moving on in the green world, one day I ran out of toothpaste and didn’t feel like going to the store. I decided to try brushing my teeth with baking soda, thinking that I can stand it once. To my surprise my teeth felt cleaner. I still haven’t gotten any toothpaste.

I am perfectly aware that chemicals are everywhere in everything and they effect us far more than the big corporations are willing to admit. I know I can't completely free myself from chemicals, but I can, and do, cut back.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Have you tried the Lotus Sanitizing System? It uses ordinary tap water that goes through a charging process to clean completely chemical-free!!! I've been using it for 4 years and have not brought one chemical into my very clean home since! If you are interested in reading more about it, visit the website at www.tersano.com.