Sunday, September 28, 2008

More Ways to Not Be Fat

Of course eating less is only half the battle. The other half is to MOVE. Move, move, move! You do not burn calories by sitting still. Forget all that bull about reading burns blah-blah calories. It does, but in order to lose weight you got to burn A WHOLE LOT.

So move. Take the stairs. Take the dog on a long walk. When doing laundry make as many steps as possible. Go put up the socks. Then walk back the laundry room and get the shirts. Then go back and the towels. Yes, it will make you tired. That is exactly the point.

It really doesn’t matter what you do as long as you are moving. That is the truth, I swear. I jump on a trampoline. Sometimes I jump rope. I do crunches. I walk the dog. I go up and down the stairs as much as possible. It adds up.

The trick to moving is this- you must do it constantly for 15 minutes OR you must do it every hour all day. You can’t do twenty push-ups and call it a work out because it’s nothing. It will gradually make you stronger, but it doesn’t really burn calories. You must move every day.
The best way to exercise is called muscle confusion. This means changing routines constantly so that your body cannot get used to the exercise. So one day is crunches, then pull-ups, then weights, then aerobics, then back to crunches.

So how much to do? I do ten crunches then I rest for one minute. I do ten more and rest again. I keep going until I do about 80. That’s a good work out. Could I do 80 straight crunches? No. That would kill my back. But I get the benefit of a work out without hurting myself. Sometimes I do twenty crunches and then do twists.

I don’t have a scale, so I measure my waist with a tape measure. If you lose inches you are most certainly losing weight.

There will come a time when the exercising is boring or depressing. That’s the day to go for a long walk. Because the whole point is just to MOVE. I can’t stress this enough. Move, move, move, MOVE!

No comments: