Friday, April 26, 2024

I Pick the Bear Every Single Time

 I'm sure you've seen the question going around social media where ladies are asked if they would rather be alone in the woods with a bear or a strange man. Overwhelmingly, and not at all surprising, everyone is saying bear. I agree. I figure the bear isn't going to fuck with me, unless I have the misfortune to run into a mama grizzly with cubs. And even then, being a mother myself, I have enough sense to get out of her way, and I will pretend I never noticed her cubs. I will be gone before she notices me. 

The men seem to be really bothered by this. They are getting butt hurt. So even when it is a question of safety, or potential danger to women, the men have to make it all about them and how they feel. Like, my dudes, this is why we pick the bear, who absolutely does not give a shit about us. We are safer with the bear because the bear will actively avoid us. Should we suffer a bear attack, people will believe us. They would be willing to help us, treat our injuries, and maybe even go hunt the bear down, instead of asking what we were wearing, or why were we in the woods. The bear would only attack once. It wouldn't follow us for days and try to convince us that it's a nice bear and we should just give it a chance. 

Today, my husband asked me to go rescue the father of one of my sons' friends. He ran out of gas. Diesel, actually. There was supposed to be a diesel can in the yard. There wasn't. All the fuel cans said kerosene. I wasn't thrilled about this because this guy is a man whore. He has 11 children by 10 different women. I was so uncomfortable that I did not allow my 8 year old daughter to go. I sent her next door, well aware that upped the danger level for me. But I am an irate Southern woman who would charge at a bear with a stick and a rock if I had to. 

I get to him, expecting him to just hop in the Jeep with me so we can run to the gas station. Instead, he ambles across the road and starts a conversation. He is on a blind curve with a double yellow line on a very busy road. I almost caused an accident, being stopped in the road while cars whipped around me. He wanted me to help him turn his truck around. As I said, I was in a little 4 cylinder Jeep. He was in an F350 diesel sitting on E with a very heavy duty steel roofing ladder longer than the whole length of his truck strapped to the bed. There was no place to stop, as he was in the only bit of shoulder in 50 yards. And like, seriously, what the fuck did he expect me to do? If I get stuck, I can pull myself out. But turn around a truck 3 times the weight of the Jeep already carrying a heavy load? In a blind curve? In the middle of nowhere? 

I told him I wasn't comfortable trying it. He rubbed my shoulder and said it was okay because the home owner he was doing roofing for was on the way with fuel. Like, why did I have to go down the road? Did he ask for me, knowing my husband wasn't home? Did my husband just want to help and sent me because I was close by? Did my husband just think I was bringing diesel and there wouldn't be anything extra? If the man ho knew I was coming, why did he call the home owner? Do you see how creepy this is? What if I had stayed? What if I had gotten out of the car? What if he kept finding reasons for me to stay on the side of the road with him? What if the home owner had showed up and he was creepy too? 

Do you see why bears are safer? 

No comments: