Monday, August 1, 2022

Lammas

 Good morning, my dears! Happy Lammas! I don't have any pictures today. I do have advice- rest. 

I have decided that I no longer need to be productive. For the longest time, I thought I needed to do something that really mattered. I don't like busy work that just keeps me occupied. I despise pointless jobs. I don't mind work that gets me closer to my goals. I don't mind boring, as long as there's a good reason. I started sorting and organizing my thread this past weekend, which is extremely boring. But it is necessary for a well run studio. Winding bobbins is pretty boring. Not having to wind a bobbin before starting a project pays for itself. 

Lammas is the first harvest. It is a transition time, from summer to fall. I haven't celebrated Lammas much during my Witch career. Usually by August my garden is dried up from the South's intense heat. I have been slowly shifting to year round gardening, so now even winter is not the end of the growing season. 

August is the beginning of the school year. I love the school year because it means I have more time to myself. I can do more spells when the boys aren't home to knock my candles over. I can read the cards uninterrupted. I can enjoy my quiet house. Lammas is my harvest of alone time. 

I used to think I needed to use every minute for Something Important. Now I think just surviving while the world burns is Very Important. I am no longer concerned about finishing projects before the deadline; I am just happy I got to sew. 

Since the car accident, I have to rest often. If I don't, I can't walk. I can no longer sit for hours at the sewing machine. 30 minutes is my limit, and then I must rest. I live by a timer now. All day long I listen for the beeps, to know when to get up, when to work, when to stop reading, when to flip the meat or take bread out of the oven. When? Beep. When? Beep, beep, beep. There is only now and later.

When you live in the now, later is constantly shaped, and thus there is no reason to worry because I know the time will come. So write your lists and then rest until the right time comes. Sleep. Dream. Listen. Live now. This is how to reap life.

No comments: