Friday, November 8, 2019

Sorry, My Bad

I didn't know what to write about today, so I looked over old posts. Specifically, the Witches & Magick series. I went all the way back to Mabon. I made a promise to post Celtic Knots if I ran out of Robert Hutton art. I never wrote a post about knots. Oops. Maybe that's why I feel like the series was a let down. I really need to write down my plan. Then check the plan and stay on course. I am so sorry. I can't believe I forgot the Celtic Knots. Damn Jason Momoa's hot body for distracting me!

I have 1,143 pins on my Celtic knots & geometry board, grouped into 5 different sections. I look at knots all the time. I have another board called Knot Work where I save actual knots I can tie, mostly paracord stuff. There is a debate about whether Celtic knots existed in real life. The answer is yes and no. It is obvious to me that the designs stem from textiles. In other words, people needed a basic understanding of weaving, twine, braiding, and twisting before they could have applied the process to drawing on paper. There is a Magick in demonstrating the form. But some knots can't exist beyond 2 dementional form, meaning if you shaped the pattern with string, it would fall apart if you tried to move it.

In the case of animals, or people, obviously there is nothing in biology that twists and turns in such a way, not even veins or nerves. Nor do electrical impulses travel in anything but straight lines. We can do interesting things with long hair, but we can't function like that. Celtic knots need both an excessive amount of material and space.
This is a fairly simple example of knot work, but see how long the beard must be?

Herons are beautiful birds, but the neck isn't that long. And I doubt it's that bendy.

Tree roots grow in tangles. They are never this artfully organized.

Now that we've established knots cannot occur naturally, and must be deliberately created, let's talk about possible uses. For me, figuring out the Magick is always intuitive. The first thing I think of is correct for the spell, regardless of what the originator had in mind. This also means you could come up with the opposite use for the same knot. That's okay. You are equally correct. That's why there aren't many correspondences for what the knots mean. There is no meaning other than the one you assign. I think this is a knot for finding love in winter. Someone else might see it as a love of snow, making it weather Magick. Changing the colors could give us protecting a relationship.

This is obviously a water drop, but is it to defeat drought or to cause tears of pain?

These are very common knots. A dozen meanings could be assigned to each.

Here is an example of a design that probably can't exist in real life. It is two separate knots. Actually it's the same knot flipped upside down. There is no end point.

This is just squares and rectangles.


This says defense to me, I see it as a picture frame to protect a loved one. However, it could also be used as a pen to jail a person.

This feels more prison like. I see it as shredding whatever tries to escape.

Here is a modern take on a Celtic knot. This is what makes for a strong Magick- adaptable for any time.

No comments: