Wednesday, January 23, 2019

The Bulletin Board

A while back I wrote about yearly goals and checking in periodically to see if you're close to achieving anything. My plan was to schedule art projects over the year depending on when shows happened. I was going to check in quarterly. I divided my bulletin board by seasons, got my index cards, and was ready to go.

It didn't work.

It probably would have worked if I had a bulletin board strictly for planning and a separate board for work in progress. I started lining up pieces along the bottom because I noticed I am more focused if I can see works in progress. I also discovered the bulletin board is the ideal place to keep tools and notes. It's also a good place to keep things I've made but don't know what to do with it. If I see it enough I will figure out the purpose.

So of course now I have run out of room. One month into 2019.

I have almost cleared the kitchen island of projects. This happened because I really wanted to use the board. And I do use it, every day. But I don't need quarterly reminders for 2 reasons. 1. If I stick to my sewing schedule things get done well before the deadline. My schedule is thus:
Monday- shows
Tuesday- to sell
Wednesday- gifts
Thursday- home and wardrobe
Friday, Saturday, Sunday- catch up, design, plan
2. Quarterly isn't working because I cut back on the number of shows I am doing since I know I will reenter the workforce and will have less time. I went from 4 big shows to 1 big show. Naturally, since I cut back, I discovered several other shows where I could enter just one piece.

I still like the idea of checking in. Probably, I will take a good look at plans quarterly to see if I still want to do those things and to stock up on supplies.

But this did not go the way I thought it would.

No comments: