Sunday, October 9, 2011

How I Spent the Weekend

I only had Sunday off. I used today to tie up loose ends.
I cleaned the book selves. This is something I try to do three or four times a year. My bookshelves are my library, my magickal cabinet, my curio case, my archive, and my house altar. So things get a bit out of hand with incense ashes, dust, and miscellaneous items. If it is important, but I don't know what to do with it, I put it on the bookcase. My suggestion for clearing a bookcase is this: ONLY DO ONE SHELF AT A TIME! Do not, under any circumstances, take every thing off with the intention of organizing at all as you put it back because I assure you, it can't easily be done. Pick one shelf and before you touch anything, decide what you can get rid of. If you want to donate, remove that book first and take it to your car. Start a pile for books you borrowed and need to return. After you get the stragglers out of the way, then you can take everything off the one shelf, dust, then reorganize. That is the only way to make more space and keep track of all the piles. When you get tired, STOP. Cleaning the bookcase is an all day job. I used to take all the books down, pile them up, wipe down shelves, trip over books, get annoyed, decide to rest, then discover I couldn't sit down because all my chairs had books on them. It was madness and I am far too lazy to do so much work.

I also added pictures to my family tree project.

I want to add more pictures, but this is a good start. The photos are held up by the paper leaves which are held by regular sewing pins. I pinned the leaves up, then slid the picture behind the leaves. I ended up using maple leaves I found on the porch as a pattern instead of sweet gum leaves. Did I mention I was lazy?

I also worked on my Etsy banner. Thank you EmKat! The site you suggested made things much easier! I'm not struggling with the size anymore. Now I'm being picky about color. But that's not anyone's fault but mine.

I cleaning the sewing room, but I didn't take any pictures because I don't want anyone to know what kind of chaos I work in. I think when I get my tax refund, I will buy an embroidery machine. It has been a long time since I purchased any kind of sewing equipment. I already checked the price and was surprised to discover it's not as expensive as I thought. I think I can afford something really nice so now I have something to look forward to.

I still have some cleaning to do. My floors are in a rather sad condition. I also have to cook for the week ahead. I think tomorrow, instead of doing a menu, I'll post a link to my favorite cooking site.