Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Bats

I spend a lot of time on the porch at dusk. I like the falling darkness and the cool air. But mostly, I like the bats.
Bats are misunderstood. They are not evil. They are not waiting to attack you or land in your hair. They aren't crazy and they aren't vile creatures.
What they are is efficent. A bat can consume its weight in insects every night. I like anything that gets rid of bugs. I like spiders too, but that is another post.
A bat is Nature's pesticide without the harmful poison. A whole colony of bats is a blessing. Besides, they are so ugly they are cute.
Every evening as the sun sinks lower, the bats begin the flutter. First one, then suddenly there are two, then three, and then I lose count as they disappear into the shadows only to flutter over my roof.
I'm not sure where this colony resides. I suspect the barn in my neighbor's cow pasture, but I just don't know. I've never seen the entire colony swarming out for the night's feeding. I never get up early enough to see them flying home. It's a nice little mystery to mull over, as I'm sure the bats wonder why I sit on the porch.

No comments: