Friday, May 25, 2018

Fiber Friday Finishing Edition

I spent yesterday trying to wrap up as many projects as possible.

First finished project was this key chain. It was supposed to have a compass but I never found one. I decided it could stand as is. I sewed the sides together and placed it in my box of smalls, which is what is going into the art show at the end of June.

Of course, since I had a plan, it didn't work. My husband needed me to bring tools. That took most of the day, interfered with my daughter's nap time, and as a result I dealt with a cranky toddler for the rest of the afternoon.

I worked on this until I ran out of black. Don't worry, I have more. I also decided to forgo the bottom border. This is closer to done even though I still have edging and backing to do.

My next project was the monkey wrench quilt. I don't have a picture because I forgot to photograph it before packing up the project box. I started the monkey wrench quilt because I wanted to hang something over my bed. Thus it is small, just 9 blocks. Five are monkey wrenches and 4 are plain green with quilted stars being the decoration. I cut my plain blocks too large. This wasn't a big deal, though it did require careful positioning to ensure the stars were still centered. Annoyed that I didn't measure to begin with, I put the quilt aside. And ignored it until I forgot. Yesterday I decided I should at least trim blocks to the correct size. Even better, I got it put together! I'm still not done, backing and edging await, along with monkeys fist knots. I decided monkey fist knots would go well with monkey wrenches. I bought ping pong balls to make the knots. Typically steel ball bearings are used, but if one falls off I don't want something heavy hitting my head. Ordinarily I wouldn't put knots on a quilt, but this is a wall hanging and not meant for warmth or cuddling. All this sounds strange and I wish I had taken pictures so things made a little more sense.

As for why I haven't done any work this morning, I am a type 1 diabetic and I woke up with a low sugar. I've been confused, I feel drained, and it's difficult to figure anything out. At times like this I say my get up and go got up and went without me. I hope next week I have some finished quilts to show.

Linking up here:
http://ninamariesayre.blogspot.com

No comments: