Friday, February 23, 2018

Fiber Friday- Catching Up

http://ninamariesayre.blogspot.com

This week has been much more productive. I made a schedule so I could complete projects. Monday is for art shows. Thus-
I started making key stars for my Little Pink Houses piece. And I actually started making the roof for the house. Then I put it back in the studio and forgot to photograph it. But I promise, Monday was great. I felt very proud of myself for being so smart.

So of course, Tuesday, which is Amazon day, I got absolutely nothing done. Tuesday was also sewing circle day. I missed that, too. I took my Mom to the eye doctor and her 9:15 appointment turned into an all day thing. I didn't get home until 1pm. At that point, I was exhausted, my toddler needed a nap, and I just gave up.

Wednesday is Xmas presents day, though I revised it to be any present because I need to make a wedding gift in a hurry. I decided to make key chains for family members.
One side will have a star. I'm making the stars with single stitches going only over one hole because I'm worried about my stitches covering 4 holes being prone to snag on things and being pulled out. This certainly changes the look of the star. I'm not sure if I like it, but I will be very unhappy if I discover a key chain I made fell apart.
The other side of the key chain will feature a mirror. I love using mirrors in my work. I went to Hobby Lobby where I found key rings (hmm, maybe I should call this a key fob rather than a key chain?) I found mirrors, and I found all sorts of things for future projects. Then I started to worry that maybe mirrors are too girlie. Maybe the men should get a compass. If Hobby Lobby has cheap compasses I didn't find them. I think maybe they would be in the section with science toys and I didn't look there.

Thursday is home and wardrobe day. I redid my trivets.
Originally I wrapped steel rings with the cheap cord I had on hand which melted horribly. I used cotton this time. The ugly melted cord really bothered me, but I had so many other projects I never addressed the issue and this is why I need a schedule.

Friday is a free day. I know me, something is going to come up that I really, really want to work on, even if it is not practical to do so. Like the foxes.
I finished my daughter's fox. I decided the fox project needed to end. I have space for one more. I thought about a word, maybe unity or hope or true or brave. I couldn't decide. My husband said to make another with our last name. I don't want to make another exactly like the first one, so I bought more yarn. One fox in that funky salmon orange was probably one too many.
I decided our future should be bright.

I also decided Z and his future wife should get their own totem. Z said wolves. I found lots of patterns. I settled on this:
It's easy to translate to plastic canvas. But both my husband and Z insist this is a Husky, not a wolf. Now I have to dig through patterns again. Or, and this fills me with dread because I can't draw, I need to design my own pattern. I think that's the only option, other than to simply stop asking Z what he wants, because each time I mention wolves he goes much deeper into detail. Apparently I'm some kind of sewing badass who can make anything out of thread.

I have several other projects floating around. See the above mentioned schedule. I can't photograph them all. And then I realized I need...more. I got an email from SAQA about becoming a juried artist member, which sounds wonderful, except I don't have a collection of quilted work. Almost every quilt I have made, I have either sold or given away. Then I didn't quilt for years. And I joined SAQA to motivate me to quilt, to be a fiber artist, to have more opportunities for quilt shows. Becoming a JAM is important but I can't prove my skills because I have nothing to show. I did realistically realize I won't make the deadline, so I'm aiming for next year. Which means my problem of storing completed art just became more complex.

No comments: