Monday, April 4, 2016

Stitch Witchery Design Considerations

I spent much of the weekend looking at hex signs. I searched several times for 'abundance hex signs' or 'prosperity hex sign' or some such variation. I got lots of interesting results but none of them seemed to say money or wealth. I was under the impression that there would be a particular theme or symbol that stood out like a green rooster or gold stars. Instead my searches always brought up many different hex signs often with just pictures. It was very much like when I tried to figure out transmutation circles and each search gave me a pile of pictures but no definite answers. The difference is hex signs tend to be much more simple than transmutation circles and I have used hex signs before. Like everything else, there's a tradition then people start making small changes to suit themselves and eventually it's hard to tell what came first. With that in mind I settled on colors (greens and gold) then I chose oak leaves.

Oak leaves generally seem to be for protection but I did find many hex signs labeled as abundance and fertility with oak leaves. I also found many hex signs with 8 or 5 pointed stars for luck. I haven't decided if I want stars. But oak leaves are a sure thing and maybe acorns because I already have patterns for them. I know, you were expecting something about the oak symbolizing strength, longevity, and acorns for harvest, and those things are true, they are good reasons but mainly, I already have the needlework patterns. Life is much easier when you don't have to figure out every detail from scratch.

In my next post, I will show you the patterns, materials used, and how I empowered these things for spell use.

1 comment:

Jeanne said...

I think it is a good choice.