Friday, February 26, 2016

Stitch Witch Journal

I made a stitch witch pendulum board on one of my journal pages. This is mainly for when I finish up a project and I'm not sure what to work on next. The choices are: quilting, organize, plastic canvas, design, rug making, macrame, tatting, and loose ends. Most of those catagories are obvious but here's the ones that require a bit of explanation: Design refers to either my cross stitch designs OR stitch witch spells as in I have a problem and haven't figured out which knot would solve it. Or design could mean plan my next quilt. Organize means go clean up the studio or sewing box or take the sewing machine in for service. I try to organize when I finish a project because I need to put things back anyway but sometimes things just get in a mess like when my mother decides to gift me all the notions she no longer uses. Loose ends refers to unfinished projects, deciding I tackled something above my skill level, running out of fabric then learning no one sells that print anymore, or the custom made whatever that was never paid for or picked up.

I may make other pendulum boards that deal with particulars like a quilting board that indicates cutting, piecing, applique, hand quilting, tying, or machine quilting. I'm sure this could be adapted for most needle arts. It could also be adapted for an individual practice such as Tarot. I'm sure a reading could be designed around knitting or crochet. I think for Tarot I would decide what the suits indicate such as yarn type or gauge of needle. Or I might base things by elements so if cups are water and water is cold a sweater might be the project. There's not a set of guidelines, but it easy to figure out what works for you if you think about it.

In other news, last night my father-in-law took me to an artist guild meeting. It was very interesting and I learned quite a bit about where to show and sell my work even though that wasn't the focus of the meeting. I was the youngest person there and I was the only textile artist. It was mostly painters though the guild is open to artists who work in all mediums. I'm thinking seriously about joining.

1 comment:

Jeanne said...

How great that you went to art guild meeting! A wealth of information I'm sure!