Monday, July 28, 2014

Storm Brewing

Recently, I went into the Front Room in search of one particular piece of fabric. It was not where I thought it was. I searched through many, many, many boxes without any luck. Finally, out of desperation, I started opening ALL the boxes. That's when I realized I have too many unfinished projects. What does this say about me? That I quit when things are too hard? That I can't commit? Do I lack discipline or just time-management skills?

I have an unfinished project box. I have this large box because when I moved back to Salem every thing, both done and not done, had to go with me. I thought I was being smart. Now I see I need a different method because some of these were unfinished the LAST time I moved.

What you see in the picture is my 'Storm at Sea' quilt. I saw this quilt years ago and immediately fell in love because this quilt is magic. When the colors are carefully placed the quilt appears curved. The block is composed of all straight lines. You can see the curve in the gray areas of the block. This isn't even sewn together. That is powerful magic.

Now I'm going to tell you how lazy I am. As soon as I started this quilt- after I had selected my fabrics, considered color placement, and started the actual sewing, the weather got bad. It got so bad, Hurricane Katrina happened.

Okay, how many years ago was that?

Sometimes I pull out my bits of Storm at Sea. Then it rains. I believe the last time I was working on it lightning struck the fence post outside my sewing room window.

I'm not sure why I put it away. When I got it all out I couldn't see any major problems. I'm not sure if ordinary life got in the way or if my sewing machine decided to act up. (All sewing machines are moody beasts that need your complete devotion in order to function properly. One dirty looks is all it takes for the beast chew up a full spool of bobbin thread. Being a total brat, you will not know what the machine did until a critical moment of sewing, like say the night before your project is due. If you're really tired and hungry there will be at least two other problems.)

I'm actually looking forward to working on Storm at Sea. I am still in love with my quilt. I think I will keep it. That's exciting. I sew all the time but I rarely make anything for myself unless it is a necessity. Something just for pretty seems wickedly indulgent.

It hasn't rained yet. It has been oppressively hot. I am thinking about solar flares. I consider all the different kinds of storms as I wonder what's going to hit this time. I love storms.

When I get it all pieced I'm going to host a hurricane party quilting bee.


1 comment:

Aine O'Brien said...

I can't wait to see your finished quilt. I am a quitter too. I have a lot of unfinished projects and yesterday ......yeah, you guessed it, I bought the supplies for another one.....