Thursday, July 10, 2014

Forward and Back

I've made great progress on clearing three generations of clutter from my house.
This is the front room that had floor to ceiling junk. We cleared it all out and turned it into a bedroom for my 17 year old stepson. Then he moved out. Then we decided we really needed to get my belongings out of storage. So I have been piling things in here until I figure out what to do with them. This is one of those one-step-forward-two-steps-back sort of things. I'm trying to get rid of more than I save because eventually we will move into a smaller house.
This picture was taken from the end of the hallway. I'm standing in the doorway. There was lots and lots of junk here. Yesterday we threw it all away. Finally, I was able to open the door. Will told me it was the first time the door had been opened in 10 years. Being able to open the door made the house dramatically cooler. Now we actually have a cross breeze blowing though the way the house was designed.
After a trip to the dumpster, we began organizing Will's tools. This desk was in the storage unit. I didn't need it anymore, but Will loves it and well, it is being used now as a very pretty toolbox.
I am still working on various sewing projects for the house. I made one sheer curtain for the bedroom. That's as far as I got. I have to make another sheer and two heavy curtains.
We have too many dogs. The latest litter of puppies like to sleep by the door to the living room because cool air conditioned air blows under the door. This means we have to shove little pups out of the way before closing the door as not to crush little feet, tails, and noses.
My pantry. This is the most poorly designed space in the house. My idiot brother-in-law didn't like the big walk-in pantry so he tore it down. Then instead of thinking about what would be useful, he assigned the pantry to left-over space by the air conditioner. Then he did the dumbest wiring job I've ever seen. He ran the wire for the blower across the doorway. Nobody can walk in here, they have to lean in. There are no shelves. I am using wall studs and a flimsy video case as storage. Every time I lean in here, I mentally design a proper kitchen with a pantry that could actually be used to store food. Then I'm glad Scott's in jail so he can't fuck up anything else in the house.

1 comment:

Jeanne said...

Clearing clutter (of any sort) Takes concentrated effort! And all too often a person will feel like no progress has been made, but hang in there! There is a light at the end of the tunnel of boxes! :0)