Wednesday, January 8, 2014

The Day After My Birthday

Yesterday was my birthday. I turned 37! I had a good day. I finished three sewing projects. Finishing is the main theme right now. I'm moving in a few months, I've changed direction (slightly) with what I make, and I have a baby on the way so I am wanting to make new things, but I don't want a bunch of half finished projects laying around. Some things I am re-purposing or altering the design of so that they suit my current needs. I felt really inspired yesterday. I hope that feeling continues on. There is the possibility that I will be sharing a sewing space with my mother-in-law and I really don't want her to see my mess!

I tried really hard to just enjoy the day. I didn't go anywhere or do anything special, but I didn't worry about anything either.

I got several well-wishes on my facebook page. Of all those messages wishing me happy birthday, only ONE was from a family member. The rest were from classmates, co-workers, friends, and a few folks I only know online. My mother had told me on Monday that she might be too busy to call me on my birthday. And she didn't. I didn't realize until yesterday how dysfunctional my family is. It was the only black spot on the day. It makes me want to put distance between me and my family and that is a very sad state of affairs when I am expecting my first child. And just to give you some perspective, of all my friends on facebook, over half are family members. So that means all my friends EXCEPT my family, acknowledged my birthday. And this is why I spend the day at home.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Belated Birthday Blessings to you. Family doesn't have to be blood and not all blood deserves to be Family. I fully reserve the right to remove people from my life regardless of the DNA they carry if they are not good for me. I think building our own tribe from people who actually care about us is something some of us have to do. Glad you are feeling inspired! That in itself is a fabulous gift from the Muse for your birthday.