Sunday, November 3, 2013

Day 3 of Kitchen Witchery- Dump Cake

Right now as I write it is August. I am done with all my October posts. It suddenly occurred to me this morning that I need to work on the rest of it. Then I realized Autumn is fast approaching and I am making travel plans. Now this is what I wanted- to have my writing done so I could enjoy my favorite season, but I need to get on the ball in order to have everything completed. So I got out my cookbook. I think I found the perfect start to our first recipe post. This recipe is super easy and I got it from AJ, the greatest Kitchen Witch I have ever known. It's called Dump Cake because you just dump the ingredients in a pan and bake. Simple!

Dump Cake
2 Large cans of crushed pineapples, drained
2 Large cans of pie cherries, drained
1 cup pecans (optional)
1 box yellow cake mix
2 sticks margarine, melted

Pour pineapple in bottom of ungreased sheet cake pan and top with cherries. Spread pecans over fruit. Pour cake mix evenly over fruit mixture. Drizzle with melted margarine. Bake at 350 for 1/2 hour.

How to make it Witchy:
Any kind of fruit can be used. I like to use the cans meant for pie filling. I generally select a can of filling based on what that fruit means to me. I always think of cherries as being a real prize, ie- cherry on top. I also think cherries represent love and sex. Pineapples mean hospitality to me. I have an angel figurine holding a pineapple. She's called the 'Welcoming Angel' and I got her as a house warming gift. I keep her turned towards the door. Pecans usually mean money. So this cake might be perfect to bake for your spouse when you move into a new house, one of you gets a raise or promotion, or to celebrate an anniversary. Change the fruits to berries and you have a cake for passion and fertility. Apples represent love and magick. Peaches would be good for beauty or for sweetening a relationship.

This is also a cake that could be acceptable in small amounts for diabetics. Just buy the fruit in light syrup, use fresh fruit (cooked down first), or frozen fruit (thawed before baking).

No comments: