Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Day 13 of Kitchen Witchery- Pie

I think it's time to do more recipes. I have one more idea for a housekeeping post and then I have some ideas for planning menus. And I have a post about bread coming, and probably I should do some meat and veggie recipes so you get a full and balanced meal should you be cooking anything I post. But for now- PIE!

Blueberry-Banana Pie
Makes 2 pies
1 can blueberry pie filling
2 baked pie shells
1-2 bananas
Put pie filling in shells lined with banana slices.
1 large pkg Cool Whip
3 oz cream cheese
¼ cup of sugar
Whip together. Spread over pies. Refrigerate.

Did you like that one? It’s a no bake! And I think if I used stevia instead of sugar, it would be diabetic friendly. Of course, I’d use fresh blue berries. The canned stuff usually has sugar added.

French Silk Pie (no bake)
1 stick butter (not oleo)
¾ cup sugar
Cream well. Beat in 2 eggs, one at a time. Add 2 squares melted unsweetened chocolate.
Pour into graham cracker crust. Cover with whipped cream and shave chocolate on top. Chill for several hours.

I loved French Silk Pie before I became diabetic. I didn’t know it was so easy to make. Sometimes it pays to seek recipes of your favorite foods.

Now here’s one to bake. It says no cook but it does require an oven. ‘Slow oven’ means place pie in oven and THEN turn on the oven. Do not pre-heat. Placing this pie into an oven already at 350 degrees will cause it to burn.

Magic Lemon Meringue Pie
A no-cook, creamy, full-flavored lemon filling that’s as easy and quick to fix as a mix. Makes an 8-inch pie or 5 or 6 servings.
1 crumb or baked pastry 8-inch pie shell.
Filling:
1 1/3 can (15oz can) sweetened condensed milk (Eagle Brand)
2 egg yolks
½ can lemon juice (fresh, reconstituted, or frozen)
1 tsp. grated lemon peel (fresh or dried)
In a medium-sized mixing bowl blend together Eagle Brand milk, lemon juice, lemon peel, and egg yolks until thickened. Turn into pie shell. Top with meringue, if desired.
Meringue:
2 egg whites (at room temperature)
¼ tsp cream of tartar
¼ cup of sugar
In a small sized mixing bowl whip whites with cream of tartar until they hold a soft peak. Gradually whip in sugar; continue to whip just until whites hold firm peaks. Pile onto pie filling and seal to inside edge of pie shell. Bake in 325 degree (slow) oven until top is golden brown, about 15 minutes; cool.

All these recipes came from A Book of Favorite Recipes by the Women’s Department of Reorganized Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, Huntsville, Alabama 1975. Let’s be clear- I am a Kitchen Witch using recipes from a cookbook written by church ladies two years before I was born. Is there anything wrong with that? No, a recipe is a recipe and it’s the magick the Witch adds which makes it a spell. (Although any church ladies reading this post are probably horrified right now.) So how would I use these pies in spells? The blueberry-banana pie I’d serve on Lammas or Mabon for a harvest theme, or maybe even for Beltaine since bananas are fertility fruit. French Silk Pie is great for anything celebrating luxury, love, or desire. And the lemon pie I’d serve to sour people I wanted to become sweet such as a family gathering where I was hoping everyone would get along, or an office party where I needed to be thought of in a favorable light.

In order to make pies into spells, I would walk into my kitchen, light a candle, and state my intent. I’d gather all the ingredients and bless them. I’d trace runes matching my intent in the bottom of the pie pan and then I’d probably trace them into the crust with a toothpick for good measure. I’d probably draw my runes into the filling before I placed the topping on the pie. That would give me three times runes without showing any indication that the pie was a spell. Before I served the pie, I’d mentally say my spell. And I’d smile whenever I handed anyone a slice. If I was serving these pies in my home, I’d set the stage even more. I’d smudge the room before the guests arrived, I’d have candles burning that matched my intent (either in color or in scent or both), and my floral arrangement would probably contain herbs or flowers that matched my spell. If I really wanted to pull out all the stops, I’d use special plates.

2 comments:

catherine said...

I don't think the church ladies would be horrified. Good cooking creates it's own magic. The might initially clutch their pearls, but they would see the flakiness of your crust and the smoothness of your filling, and say "that girl knows how to bake pie" :D You put the right food in front of the most miserable person, and when they taste it, it can bring back memories of happier times, and change their whole disposition. I have been using food magic for years. When you create a recipe with love, it comes out in the finished product, and you can taste the love in it.

FreeDragon said...

You are exactly right!