Friday, August 16, 2013

The Most Recent Turn of Events

The last few days have been strange. Just strange. All the temps came back. They were told a power outage had caused machinery to malfunction. Some of them were told not to come back until Monday. Some were told not to come back unless called.

There was no power outage that I know of. Everything seemed to be working fine, we just didn't have enough people to run the whole plant. I still don't know how I avoided a phone call. One line shut down early and I am taking that to be a sign that the end is nigh. I hate job hunting.

As if the whole maybe-I'm-about-to-be-unemployed shit isn't bad enough, Kurt has popped up. All week I got calls from numbers I didn't recognize. I don't answer numbers I don't know. I figure if it's a legitimate call, the person will leave a message. I didn't get any voicemails. Then on Wednesday, I got THREE calls from numbers I didn't recognize. That is an excessive amount for me. And when I went to work and discovered I was one of the few temps in the place, I thought some of those calls must have been either the agency or the plant. But why didn't they leave a message telling me to either call or not come to work? When the phone rang at 7:30am Thursday, I hit 'quiet' out of habit, then thought, shit! I must be getting fired. So when the phone rang again an hour later, I answered.

The person, whose voice sounded VERY familiar, asked for Kurt Darkwolf. I said he had the wrong number and he hung up quick.

Now Kurt has put my number down on job applications before, either as an alternate number or as the main number when his phone was on the blink. But that was months and months ago. I see no reason why anyone would suddenly call me to reach him and if it was a job, wouldn't they say, This is Company X calling Mr. Darkwolf in regards to position Z. Please contact us if you are still interested in the job. I mean, that's how it works in the normal world, right? Don't companies leave messages? And what office calls at 7:30am?

I think Kurt is calling from different phones to see if I still have the same number. I think it was him who called me. I checked his Facebook page to see if he had some ridiculous declaration of undying love and discovered he has a new girlfriend. I was thinking maybe I was being paranoid until someone pointed out that he was probably lonely, not necessarily over me. Well, that sounds worse. But I do have to say that since I answered the phone, I haven't had anymore calls from unknown numbers.

I'm thinking of changing my relationship status. I'm waiting to see what Will says. I don't want to post our business all over the Internet, but he did offer to call Kurt and have a conversation with him, so I don't think he'll mind. And I'm also thinking of changing some of my passwords. And maybe the locks.

Can't be too careful.

No comments: