Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Satanic Stick Worshippers

EmKat's comment on my last post reminded me of when I was dating a police officer and I told him I was a witch. The very first thing he asked was,

'Do you walk down the road at night swinging a sword?'

It was so ridiculous, and he was so very serious, that I started laughing. Turns out he had limited experience with witches. He knew one, a man with wild hair who walked down the road under the full moon, muttering and swinging a really big sword. The man freaked people out and my police officer never understood what the sword was for.

My policeman had several encounters with the male witch, each (to him) more bizarre than the last. He told me about the time a caller was frantic because 'satanic rites' were being performed in Ghost Town. Several officers arrived on the scene to find a group of pagans in face paint, robes, and carrying, guess what? swords. The cops told the pagans they were on private property and the group willingly moved across the road. As the police were leaving, one of the officers told my policeman 'Them satanic stick worshippers are up to no good.'

I thought the satanic stick bit was funnier than the sword question so from then on he would periodically ask me if I had been worshipping sticks and I would collapse into hysterical giggles.

I've thought about it carefully and come to this conclusion- I'm not broadcasting my belief system. If my future man asks, I'll be honest. I think if he really cares about me he'll broaden his mind and accept what I do. If he doesn't like witches then he doesn't like me and I'll have to cut him loose. It might not even be an issue. Kevin didn't have any problems with me being a witch. The subject rarely came up. Sometimes he would notice me doing magick and asked if I was 'spelling it.'

If my future man is reading this post, I hope you have a sense of humor. It helps.

2 comments:

Aine O'Brien said...

hahahahaha satanic stick worshipers! That's hysterical.

I actually think that most men find it verrrrrry interesting and mysterious and since most like mysterious women, it's a bit of a turn on. Now, that said, that doesn't mean a man takes a Witch all that seriously. But some do. And some do in time.

I figure that we find it very normal because (a) we are pagans/witches and (b) we are around other pagans. But to those that have never heard of such a thing except in horror stories and fairy tales, well....it's a bit of shock.

And since policmen see the REAL horror sometimes, they are always suspicious

Anyway, I'm sure that your beliefs won't be a deterrent for the right guy!

Kat of EmKatCreations said...

heeheehee...

See, there are reasons I don't do public ritual with swords, up here in the (almost) north it's probably illegal.