Monday, January 30, 2012

Normally, I Wouldn't Do This

I was going to post the link to the news story, but I decided not to because I think it will just stir more drama. I know there is a slim to none chance that the people who really need to see this post will actually find it, but I need to say something.

When a tragedy occurs, please do not treat real life events as if it is a soap opera designed for your sick entertainment.

Last year, my cousin's boyfriend killed her ex-husband, then killed himself the next day. She is devastated. I assure you, it is not romantic when two men are fighting over you. It is hard enough to deal with a death, so imagine dealing with TWO deaths at the same time AND the families blame you.

The local paper keeps running the story. It's the one year anniversary so the story was on the front page yesterday. There is really nothing else to say. The case is solved and closed, but the media keeps dragging things out like more shocking details are lurking in the shadows. Every time the story runs, the same people go the newspaper's website to post comments. I noticed over half the comments had been removed, so I assume the ex-husband's family is using the comments as a way to assign blame and be nasty.

My aunt broke her back around the time of the murder/suicide and still has not recovered. She is anemic and taking iron shots three times a week. She is 76. Every time this story is on tv, she shuts herself in her house and doesn't answer the phone.

My cousin's daughter has changed schools because she got tired of people asking her why her father got shot.

My cousin has changed jobs. She was in real estate and she couldn't sell houses for people saying, 'Didn't I read about you in the paper?' I wish she would move to another town where she wouldn't be harassed on a nearly hourly basis.

I knew a few more details and people figure I must know something so I am quizzed often. I finally told my father some of it because I am tired of people thinking my cousin caused this mess and I just hope my parents don't say anything to anyone because the last thing I need is my cousin angry with me for betraying her trust.

Please, people, this is causing a huge strain on my family. If you haven't been told everything, you don't need to know. Yes, I have her number, NO, I am not giving it to you. I don't care what you think of her or her lifestyle, keep you opinions to yourself. And for god's sake, please have brains enough to realize that while the media might present the facts, they don't always give all the facts and they are not above presenting material that casts people in a bad light just to sell more newspapers.

3 comments:

Kat of EmKatCreations said...

Oh how awful for you and your family. You make really good and important points in this post.

Vivienne Moss said...

I will be thinking of you and your cousin. Sorry you are both going through this.

Blessings, V.

Alexis Kennedy said...

*sigh*.. I'm so sorry your family is enduring this. Hugs to you all.