Monday, January 23, 2012

Hell Hath No Fury Like a Woman Without Transportation

This is my truck, Hecate. As you can see, she has a busted lip. A deer ran out in front of me. There are too many deer Alabama. Nothing keeps them in check save for deer hunters and the hunters aren't looking to thin the population, they are looking for the biggest rack so they let a lot of deer walk. When my father was a boy, there were no deer in this area. Somebody decided to reintroduce them. Now it is a challenge to drive anywhere without hitting one. I see deer on the side of the Interstate. It sounds strange, but I85 is an ideal habitat. Hunting is not allowed from the road. Despite the huge number of passing cars, there are no people ambling along the highway. There is plenty of grass and water. The wooded areas are thick and make good hiding places. The Fish and Game Dept. released wolves and panthers a few years ago. I suppose soon I'll be writing about the problem with predators. I'll probably say something along the lines of, you know, we still have too many deer.

There were three deer standing on the side of the road. They were standing in front of a house with a fenced in yard and they couldn't go under or through the fence. I don't know why they didn't jump it. Deer are rather stupid, so this doe ran in front of the very thing that was frightening her- my truck. I tried to stop. I was yelling NO! NO! NO! But alas, she plowed right into me. Thankfully, she hit me instead of me hitting her because if I had, my airbags would have deployed and that's at least a $1,500 repair. I just need a new bumper, head light, and get the hood straightened. The truck is drivable, but it will go to the shop and I'm not sure how I will get around then. I forgot to ask the agent if my insurance company would pay for a rental car. If it wasn't for a piece of the bumper rubbing against my tire, I might not have it fixed because I can't stand driving a car that isn't mine.

My truck is an extension of me on wheels. Hecate is therapy- I drive too fast and sing along with the radio. By the time I get wherever I am going, I feel better. I eat in the truck. Memories are made in cars- I love road trips. I could, if I absolutely had to, sleep comfortably in the truck. I had my first date with Kevin on the same day I bought Hecate. In fact, I was running late, he called thinking I was standing him up, I assured him I was on the way, and I surprised him by pulling up in style, hot chick in a brand new, stickers-still-on-the-windshield, shiny truck. We took Hecate to Panama City for a wedding on the beach. Kevin borrowed the truck when his father had surgery in Birmingham. I have sex in the truck just because it is a fun thing to do. Without Hecate, I am just lost. I never remember all my 'important' stuff. In a few days I will probably be really disappointed when I realize one of my cds in the truck and Hecate is in the shop. Or I might be hunting all over the house for a pair of pliers before I remember my tools are in the truck. Shit, I should probably go get my sunglasses right now.

What really, really bothers me is people invading my personal space. I know mechanics have probably seen it all, but I don't want them going through my cds and laughing at my choice in music. I don't want them to find an old grocery receipt and know what I buy. I don't want my seat or mirrors adjusted. Don't touch the dream catcher hanging from the review mirror. Get out of the glove box, you don't need to look at my maps, and never mind when was the last time I changed the oil. The dagger isn't your business and neither is the little bag of rocks and dried leaves. Aaarrrrggggghhhhhh! I have anxiety just thinking about it!

3 comments:

Vivienne Moss said...

i know how you feel. I was without my Betty for a month. I have never walked so much in my life. I am so happy to have Her back.

I hope Hecate makes it through just fine.

Anonymous said...

Our daughter hit several deer in 09 while driving back to NY from our home in Fla. They did extensive damage to their Tahoe.
I have learned from experience, if you don't have rental car insurance, add it! It only comes to about $2 addl per month and is SO worth it! (She says after paying out of pocket for rentals due to accidents!)

Kat of EmKatCreations said...

I'm so glad you're ok and that the damage is minimal.

And I totally know what you mean about personal space.