Friday, August 12, 2011

Norma Jean (Nudity Warning)

Today's photo essay won't be silent because this is an icon you can't help but notice. And I'm posting about her today because a sex goddess should be revealed on Friday.

I don't really have a problem with nudity, but some people do, so you have been warned. I hope if you are offended by bare skin you address the issue. I would like to point out, it is rarely the nakedness that is offensive to people, but rather how the viewer feels when confronted with nudity that causes discomfort. I think nudity bothers folks for just two reasons- either they are reminded of their own imperfections or they are enraged when they can't have what they desire.

I grew up being told I was ugly. I believed this completely. It is still hard for me to believe men find me attractive. I always wanted to be the girl who turned heads just by walking through a room. I longed to be tall (I'm a slight 5'3"), blond (I have light brown hair though I do get blond streaks from sunlight), and big busted (my bra size is none of your damn business).

Marilyn herself said she was pretty, not beautiful. This is shocking to me. How can someone so beautiful not see herself as she really is?

Maybe it's because we all overlook what we are. Sometimes when I am in the grocery store, I will realize I have seen the same man on every aisle. I will have a shopping cart full. He will have one basket with three items. I'll wonder what he is doing and I'll start watching him randomly pick up things and put them back while furtively stealing glances at me. Ugly women are not followed around Kroger.

Today's post is not about beauty. Today's post is about attitude. You want to turn heads? Act like you're worth looking at.

No comments: