Monday, May 23, 2011

Seriously, Don't Talk to Me

Kevin tells me all the time I am beautiful. I grew up constantly hearing that I was ugly, so I don't really believe Kevin. I know he thinks I'm attractive and he loves me, but it throws me for a loop when a stranger shows an interest.

Today was the first day of my new job. The men looked at me all day long. This doesn't have much to do with my looks; men in factories are always interested in the 'fresh meat' Only one man actually talked to me- the safety officer.

First, let me say that he is old and weird. He talks really slow. Know the 'Clear Eyes' commerical? Dry, red eyes? Get Clear Eyes. Wow. He has the same slow deadpan voice.

Mr. Safety thinks he knows me. We have never met until today. He saw me at orientation last Thursday and this morning he saw me again and he said he was happy to see a familiar face. Hmm? Who me?

At lunch, he walked up while I was using the microwave and started chatting away like we were old friends. I was actually racking my brain trying to determine if maybe I did know him and forgot.

I really hate it when men do this. There's a flirting element that I want to nip in the bud IMMEDIATELY. But, they haven't actually done/said anything. So if I pointedly blurt out I have a boyfriend (I almost always lie and say husband), they usually get offended and proclaim they were just being nice, no they're not interested. But if I let it go on then I'm encouraging them and somewhere they cross a line and things become awkward because I should have spoke up a long time ago.

The only thing worse than men flirting is women hitting on me because I have no clue that I have a lesbian admirer until it is far too late. Women don't use cheesy pick up lines. They just start talking and I mistakenly believe they are being friendly and nice and usually I am really confused midway into the conversation. I've been hit on by women three times and I just don't know how to handle it or how to even see it coming. No women hit on me today. At least, I don't think so. Ah, I'm confused again.

2 comments:

Diandra said...

Geez, maybe he *was* just being friendly? Maybe he thought, "Poor newbie, I should make her feel welcome!" I know it sounds weird (and sometimes I find myself falling to the same assumption, I admit!), but not every guy is trying to flirt. (My BF constantly complains that, if he talks to a girl/woman he just met, the second or third sentence usually is something along the lines of, "By the way, I've got a guy at home..." - and I swear he isn't flirting, he wouldn't even know how to do that. *lol*)

FreeDragon said...

I would believe he was being friendly if he talked to some of the other people in the group. I'm the only one he wanted to chat with.