Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Cost More to Ship than I Made

I have made another Etsy sale, which I am thrilled about. Again, it will cost way too much to ship because it's going overseas. I upped my shipping cost, but it didn't help much. I don't want to be rude and tell my best customer not to buy anything from me, but I am in business to make money. So I decided to change the product. Instead of a heavy, bulky bag of rags, I am going to create rag boxes. Nice flat, lightweight boxes that are cheap to ship. To make up for less fabric, I've decided to focus on color. A box of all blue fabrics. Or I could go with type, all cotton or all flannel. Boxes would also be easier to store. The rag bags tend to slide around the closet. I have plenty of boxes to get started and when I run out if I have to buy some I can add the cost into the sale price. I plan things out, but most of the problems I deal with involve things that I never even thought of.

No comments: