Thursday, October 28, 2010

Stitching- Harder than it looks

Believe it or not, this is a difficult post for me to write. I don't mean that it is very emotional or that I don't understand my subject matter or that I have writer's block. The problem here is knowing when to shut up.

Sewing is my whole life. I plan my day around my projects and I feel quite annoyed that my job takes up so much of my day. Sometimes I call in sick just to stay home and sew. Let me make it clear- I TURN DOWN HOURLY PAY JUST SO I CAN QUILT.

My cooking style is quick and easy- so I have more time to sew. My favorite kitchen tool is my slow cooker.

I take embroidery projects on vacation. The last time I was in Florida I spent the entire ride making yo-yo's for a yo-yo quilt.

I have craft, crochet, and quilt books on my wish list at amazon.

I own 3 sewing machines. And I would like another one.

I can go on and on like this, telling you how I admire fabric like it's art, how I choose my clothes based on the texture, about my 150+ spools of thread... but this is supposed to be a magickal stitch post. Sigh.

Magickal stitchery can be as simple or as complex as you like. As you sew a button back on a coat you can cast a binding spell at the same time to ensure the coat is never lost. Or you can plan a wedding quilt in colors that represent love, happiness and harmony and with every stitch you bring two people closer together. You can tie up the wind with string then release a storm by untying the knots. You can make VooDoo dolls, gris-gris bags, bind someone like in the movie 'The Craft' (I bind you, Nancy, from doing harm against yourself and others) If it can be made from thread and fiber then it lends itself well to spells and curses.

This is how I usually add a little magick:
I start by choosing a project. This directs my intent. Let's use one of my plastic canvas stars as an example. BTW, knitting and crochet have become retro-hip so I keep waiting for a plastic canvas revival, but alas, no such luck.

So I want to make a star. Stars are lucky. Who deserves a lucky star? After I decide who gets the star, I know what colors to use. For the star I gave to my friend on her birthday, I picked purple for magick, red for love, yellow for self-confidence, brown for a good home, and green for prosperity.

I smudge the canvas and the floss with incense to remove any negative energy. Then I cast a circle around them to imbue the materials with my intent. I name each color and say what it represents. I name the canvas as the person's life. I leave everything in the circle for 24 hours.

As I stitch, I might chant. Or I might just name the intent of each color again. When the project is complete I'll cast a new circle and see all the energies melding together in a harmonious whole.

Tomorrow- the meaning/magick of quilt blocks.

No comments: