Monday, October 11, 2010

The Big Animal Totem Post Part 1

The cards I've been posting are Animal Messages, Seek Inspiration from Your Animal Guides by Susie Green. I have to admit, this is not the animal deck I originally wanted. Then one I had my heart set on looked like very well done cross-stitch painting, hence the my longing for it, being that a love of textiles is programmed into my DNA. The problem with that deck was I took too long to buy it. Someone decided they didn't like it and they posted the same negative comment on every bookstore site and metaphysical site on earth. Ok, maybe not all, but it sure seemed that way. Every time I searched for the deck I found the same negative comment. At first it put me off, then I decided I really liked the art and should buy the deck anyway, but at that point the deck was gone and I've not been able to find it again.

But Animal Messages is a good deck because it works for me. I have found it to be very accurate. Usually the cards show what I am feeling which in turn shows me how I am viewing the world. Have no doubt, the world is exactly what you make it.

The deck divides the animals into 6 groups-
Creatures of the Air
Eagle, raven, owl, humming bird, parrot, peacock, butterfly, bat, spider, and bee
Arboreal Creatures
Panther, panda, sloth, orang-utan, chameleon, and red squirrel
Earth-Dwellers
Mouse, porcupine, badger, scorpion, and fox
Walkers Between Worlds
Tiger, hippopotamus, water buffalo, beaver, and elephant
Water Denizens
Whale, dolphin, crab, ray, seal, octopus, crocodile, and frog
Land Creatures
Cheetah, lion, cobra, kangaroo, hare, wolf, rhino, mountain goat, llama, wild boar, wild horse, scarab beetle, bear, deer, bison, moose, baboon, and tortoise

I don't have time to go into every single card. I'm going to cover what each group means, add my thoughts, and then discuss my favorites. Next post will be about the book Animal Speak.

Creatures of the Air

Eagle, raven, owl, humming bird, parrot, peacock, butterfly, bat, spider, and bee
All of these creatures represent new beginnings. Air is East, the direction of dawn and new days. Drawing one of these cards means pay attention to what you are thinking. Remember, your thoughts shape your actions. Air is also about words, so watch what you say.
My favorite- spider. A goddess I work with often is Spider Woman. I call her Grandmother Spider or just Grandmother. I don't kill spiders. Anything that kills bugs is great in my opinion. Spiders bring dreams, teach patience, and of course, they weave (there's that textile connection again).

Arboreal Creatures

Panther, panda, sloth, orang-utan, chameleon, and red squirrel
These are all tree dwelling animals. Of the earth, but not on/in it. Drawing one of these means pay attention to your environment/home life. It could also mean the World Tree and your path in life. Panther, sloth, and chameleon are dream animals, meaning they have the power to teach dream magick.
My favorite- panther for sheer power.

Earth-Dwellers
Mouse, porcupine, badger, scorpion, and fox
All burrowing animals who reside in the earth. These cards are about connecting with nature or your true self.
My favorite- badger for being fierce.

Walkers Between Worlds
Tiger, hippopotamus, water buffalo, beaver, and elephant
Land animals that spend a great deal of time in water. These are cards of balance. Each animal is also associated with wealth and abundance. Many are dream animals as well.
My favorites- Tiger (strength), beaver (ecological balance) and elephant (power through gentleness)

Water Denizens
Whale, dolphin, crab, ray, seal, octopus, crocodile, and frog
Water is about emotion. If a water animal appears pay attention to how you feel. Do not suppress your emotions even if you find them unpleasant.
My favorite- dolphin. Pure joy incarnate. Frogs run a close second. Frogs are the first to show distress in a threatened environment. If all is well with the frogs all is well with the world.

Land Creatures
Cheetah, lion, cobra, kangaroo, hare, wolf, rhino, mountain goat, llama, wild boar, wild horse, scarab beetle, bear, deer, bison, moose, baboon, and tortoise
The largest card group in the deck. There's a bit of everything here- cheetah runs like the wind, lion thrives in heat, cobra is calm but deadly, horses are generally associated with dreams and emotions, bears represent strength. We all live on the earth. Earth is all encompassing. Earth is varied and amazing. Earth provides everything you need. These cards are about mundane affairs, daily living, and good luck in general.
My favorite- wild horse. I love horses. Horses generally represent feminine energy, water, west, and beauty, but they also mean nightmares, war, and terror.

And if I could be any animal I would be a DRAGON. Okay, so not a 'real' animal. At least not one in a science book. But I do think dragons exist and I believe they represent our challenges and goals. Dragons are all about magic, wealth, and adventure. To me those are very important.

No comments: