Saturday, September 25, 2010

Veggie Beef Soup

I make this a lot. I've made it so much Kevin got tired of it and asked me to stop. Some people just don't know what's good for them. After 6 months I told him to shut up and eat because this soup is cheap, easy, and freezes well.

I make my soup in the slow cooker so it is almost effortless. I usually put it on in the morning so it can cook all day while I'm at work. When I come home my house smells good and it's the rare occasion that I can sit down and eat. If there is someone in your life who cooks for you so that as soon as you come home you can eat, you better go tell that person RIGHT NOW that you know they love you and you love them back.

Veggie Beef Soup requires 3 things: Beef broth, veggies (fresh or frozen), and meat (usually stew beef but link sausage also works well). The beauty of this soup is in the freedom of choice. Only the broth is essential. Before I became diabetic I used Irish potatoes and made garlic bread to go with it. I don't use potatoes anymore and I don't miss them. This time I used carrots, green beans, mushrooms, broccoli, stew beef, broth and a little red wine. I've also used peas, onions, tomatoes, and left over pot roast. I add peppers when they are in season. There are lots of herb that would work, and I suppose you could add a little rice. Noodles of any kind are good. You can add as many beans as you like. You can easily turn this soup into stew by adding flour. Once I messed up by using chicken broth. It was greasy and lacking the rich flavor of beef broth.

I start by putting all the vegetables in. Because they need a little longer to cook I want them on the bottom. Then I brown my meat (always pre-cook meat before adding it to a slow cooker, this is how the grease is removed.) I toss it on the vegetables and add enough broth to cover. You can add water if you don't have enough broth. I put the lid on, set the slow cooker on low and that's all folks. After two hours I may it a stir. Or not. It doesn't require my attention.

We eat as soon as Kevin comes home and despite him claiming to be tired of it, he always eats two bowls. After dinner I pour the soup into individual containers and freeze it. I always have at least three bowls. If I have more than 3 I give some away. I've given it to my parents, friends, neighbors, and my landlord. Everybody always says it's good and they ask when I'm going to make more. No one ever asks for the recipe because they think it's hard to make.

1 comment:

Wide Lawns said...

Yum! I could eat veggie beef soup every single day. I don't always add potatoes either. Sometimes I like to put a sweet potato in there though. I make mine with two short ribs and a marrow bone in water instead of beef broth and my grandmother's rule is you have to include at least 10 vegetables. If you have 10 vegetables it'll be good. If you use fewer, it won't be the same (according to her). My silly husband can't stand it either. He doesn't know what's good.