Friday, September 17, 2010

TGIF Again

This week has zipped by. I'm not sure if this is because work is fubar, complete with soap opera drama, if it's because I've been so busy. Every day after work this week some large project has needed my attention. I always long for the weekends because it's 'my' time. I actually feel a little put upon if there's a social event on the weekend. I'm starting to feel like weekends are the only time I can be myself.

When I was on a 12 hour shift I thought I would have more time for sewing if I worked 8 hours. I thought I would be less tired at the end of the day. This has not proven to be the case. When I come home I have domestic goddess chores. Domestic goddess is a full time job itself so 8 hours and a man in the house is pretty much the same as 12 hours as a single woman. I come home feeling drained, I rush to cook and clean, I pick up a needle and suddenly it's bed-time and I still haven't showered. Sometimes I feel like the world's biggest needle art failure.

But I don't want you to think life is all bad. My garden hasn't been attacked by long fanged bunnies, my contacts were on the porch when I came home yesterday, Kevin fixed our bed (yay!), and I've gotten my sugar to stay down without life threatening lows by taking cinnamon pills. Cinnamon is considered a 'free' food for diabetics, meaning it's one of the few things I can eat all I want. When I was taking diabetic classes the nurse told us there was no supplement we could take that could lower blood sugar. Someone asked about cinnamon and she said it DID lower sugar but it was impossible to eat enough of it to do the job. This didn't make any sense to me. I thought surely there was something, some herb or vitamin, that could help me. I saw the cinnamon pills in the grocery store and I decided it wouldn't hurt to try. My blood sugar has not gone into the 200 range since I've started the pills and most of the time it stays under 150. For me this is simply amazing. I don't have take as much insulin now and I feel happy. Sometimes to pays to find out for yourself instead of just taking the word of an 'authority' figure.

Today's card is moose. With self-reliance and measured patience adversity will be overcome.

No comments: