Tuesday, September 21, 2010

The Kitchen Sink

Sunday I reached under the sink (I don't even remember now what I was going for) and came up with a sopping wet bottle. I opened both cabinet doors and discovered everything was wet. My cleaning rag had mildew. The bottom of the cabinet had rotted away and my huge pot had fallen through to the floor.

Part of the problem was the o-ring in the faucet had broken in half. The rest of the problem is the putty seal is gone. Thus every time I turned on the faucet extra water spewed out and ran under the sink. Why is it no one notices a leaking sink until there is a huge, nasty mess?

My landlord was supposed to stop by last night and have a look. He is terrified of my big, dumb labs. He thinks Sophie is particularly vicious. Now I forgot all about him stopping by so I let them out of the pen. When Kevin called to remind me the dogs were already in the house. In the kitchen. So I decided to let the dogs in the living room then put the baby gate back up so they couldn't go in the kitchen. Normally my dogs rush out of the kitchen as soon as the baby gate is down so they can run in the bedroom and lay on my bed. Last night they knew something was up so I had to coax them into the living room. My dogs might not know what is going on, but they are smart enough to know when something is different.

Next I decided to do something with the dishes. I really don't want anyone to think I'm a bad housekeeper. We had 2 days worth of dirty dishes on the counter. I filled up some buckets with the intention of washing dishes on the porch. Now that I'm diabetic I can't stand the heat. If I get hot my skin starts to prickle and itch. I can't stay outside, have an intense work-out, or take a long shower. I can't work in my garden or live without air conditioning. I feel like ants are biting me and it is all I can do not to claw my skin bloody.

It was really hot and humid on the porch. The buckets seemed to take forever to fill. I kept going in the house and grabbing dishes by the armload. Every time I came out a fresh prickling of ants would start. Finally I had everything on the porch except my slow cooker and I decided that could just wait. Then I was too hot and irritated to wash the dishes.

I wanted to wait until after my landlord came by to start supper. I have a really small kitchen. It's impossible for 2 people to be in there at the same time. But I was hungry. I waited and waited. No landlord. Finally Kevin came home so I started cooking. He decides to go to our landlord's house. I got really hot cooking and ate alone. I hate it when Kevin doesn't eat with me. I don't like to cook so if I prepare a meal I think the least he can do is eat.

Eventually he comes back with o-rings. Our landlord was busy drinking beer so he never showed up. Kevin replaces the o-ring and tells me I can use the sink now. I went though the whole bucket thing for nothing! Of course, the sink still isn't really fixed because Kevin didn't replace the putty around the faucet. And under the sink is still a wet mess. Except now there's more holes because Kevin was trying to show me how easy it would be to replace the wood and he poked his fingers through by accident.

So maybe tomorrow when both my landlord and Kevin are off work my sink will be properly repaired. If no one is hung over or has started drinking again.

Today's card is lion. Just thinking about lions makes my skin itch.

No comments: